Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perforation Gauge - Advice Required

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 409Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rfw125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
With a lot of the modern normal stamps and self adhesive stamps having similar perforation measurements it's becoming very difficult to measure these to an exact size.
I have a normal plastic gauge and a Linder gauge and wondered if it is worthwhile purchasing an electronic / digital gauge, if so any recommendations.
Also is there an easier way of telling the difference between water based & Self adhesive used stamps
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
792 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the fast mayority of cases, the self-adhesive stamps have die-cut perforations. These are very clean-cut. Even if they come as multiples, the die-cut perforation is very recognisable. Ordinary gummed stamps tend to have uneven and "torn" perforations. Coil stamps and booklet stamps may have been cut into coils or panes, but that leaves at least one, and almost always at least two sides where perforations have been torn from adjoining selvedge or stamps.

As for an electronic gauge: it depends on what you want to use it for. If you collect modern GB, there are few variations and when they occur, they are linked to a specific issue.

Continuing on the theme of GB, the Machins and older stamps have more variation, but almost always linked to a single issue. Where there is an issue with multiple gauges, you can use a stamp with a known perforation and fit it to the perforation of the stamp you want to examine.

Unless you are planning to argue that SG's 15x14 is closer to 14 3/4 x 14 1/4 or you want to know whether your 14 gauge is 14.127355449, don't bother.

If you are looking at stamps with many slight variations as appear to exist in some countries, it might help. Maybe someone has experience with the accuracy of electronic readings.

So, it might be helpful if you clarify what you want to use it for.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 03/15/2021 5:25 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rfw125 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to mention, I collect Canadian MNH and used stamps. Some of the modern stamps have perforations that are very close and in some cases the same on water based and self adhesive stamps
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used mainly the Unitrade Instagauge for all my Canadian stamps. I also have the Kisuala gauge for the Small and Large Queens.

I have used a **perf program for perfing also, but everything comes down to how the stamp was scanned. It will give you a rough idea, but I cant recall if it goes to the decimal points, just 1/4, 1/2, /3/4 measurements

as for the self adhesive/die cuts they mainly have a backing paper.

There is an brief mention in the Unitrade Catalog on page 22. SELF ADHESIVE DIE CUTTING.

If you are looking for per gauge for the diecuts. there is a gauge available. There is a sample of it on Page 23 of the 2020 Unitrade catalog.

Maybe the Unitrade Editor can advise the forum where collectors might be able to purchase one. Thanks Unitrade Editor :)
I know there was a dealer in Calgary selling them.

if you are interested, private message me and I can check with him.

Trodent
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rfw125 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for replies..good stuff, .much appreciated.

Regards

Robert
Valued Member
90 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UnitradeEditor to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The die cut gauge noted in the Unitrade catalogue is an initiative of the Elizabethan II Study Group (of BNAPS).

Details of the gauge are available here: https://adminware.ca/esg/perfgauge.htm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05