Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suriname 10 On 25 King Willem

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 604Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Peter
With each question I get better :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
156 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While Peter is correct about the reason for most of the overprinted stamps of Suriname, the story here is different.

King Willem III died 23 November 1890, upon which his only surviving daughter, Wilhelmina, became queen. She had been born 28 August 1880, so she was only 10 years at the time. She did not become inaugurated as queen until she turned 18 in 1898. In Suriname there had been an issue with her portrait (as a 10 year old) in October 1892, but the stamps with the portrait of her father continued to be used in large numbers. By the time of her inauguration, this was beginning to be somewhat of an embarrassment, and the government decided to get rid of the existing stocks of the old stamps with values from 12 to 30 cents by overprinting them with a new value of 10 cents. This was a relatively common rate at the time (either basic letter rate to the Netherlands if transported directly there by a Dutch ship, but also the registration rate). When they were put on sale (at various dates in September and October 1898), they were instantly bought up by (reportedly) a single speculator. I found a contemporary newspaper article which describes a near riot at the postoffice when these were put on sale, with one potential customer suffering a broken rib.

When these overprints were declared invalid as of 31 December 1905, the public was allowed a month to exchange them for current valid postage stamps. It appears that over 90,000 copies were exchanged (fully one third of the issue). These were later sold as remainders.

In summary, these overprints were to get rid of an excess of stamps, not to deal with a shortage. As they were all bought by a speculator, they saw relatively little postal use.

In regards to your stamp, the perforations are very rough, but it appears to come from the first column of the sheet. I have a similar copy and will add a scan here so you can compare the overprints, but that won't happen for a few days.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you so much!!
Valued Member
Canada
156 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As promised, here is my copy of the 10 cent overprint from column 1:

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you jan
i appreciate you took the time to help me with this,
helps me understand way better!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 604Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05