Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Germany Clarification, Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 317Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EdziuMM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In some cancels from Germany the name of the city/town is at the top and below is the word "Land".
What, precisely, does "Land" mean there? Suburban office? Countryside? Rural office?
My thanks in advance for your help.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7436 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
trying to remember my high school German ( kind of foggy now! ) I do believe it is the surrounding area of a city. Can also mean the state it is in as in Bundesland

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In this case it could also mean country. I have seen cases on addresses where people were too lazy for domestic mail to specify Deutschland in the address and merely stated Land. I can't say that I have seen it in a postmark and a scan would be nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1131 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of those meanings are correct. But Edziu's guesses are probably the most correct in this context.

Re "Land" postmarks specifically, here's an explanation from a German stamp collecting forum:

Quote:
Früher, als noch nicht alles so zentralisiert war, gab es in vielen kleinen Orten, sogar in kleinen Dörfern eigene Postämter. Poststücke, die dort aufgegeben wurden, erhielten oftmals einen Landpoststempel, der neben der Frankatur abgeschlägen wurde. Das Poststück wurde dann zum zentralen Postverteilzentrum transportiert, erhielt dort nun auf der Marke den zugehörigen Rundstempel und trat erst danach seine Reise in die Ferne an.

"Earlier, when everything was not yet so centralized, many small towns, even small villages, had their own post offices. Mail that was submitted there often received a 'Land' postmark that was placed next to the franking. The piece of mail was then transported to the postal distribution center and there received the corresponding round postmark, and only then began its journey into the distance."

https://www.briefmarken-forum.com/t...ellenstempel

Using the sample image from that forum, we can see the rectangular "Groß-Döhren" postmark from the rural post office and the round "Goslar Land" postmark from the central post office.
Edited by erilaz - 03/18/2021 12:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1131 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have seen cases on addresses where people were too lazy for domestic mail to specify Deutschland in the address and merely stated Land.

I don't recall ever seeing that, but I have often seen "Hier" (here) instead of the name of the city/town on local mail.
Pillar Of The Community
France
1728 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In France E.V. standed for "En Ville" (inside the town)
Here is a letter from Libourne to Libourne.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, all.
Erilaz's's quote from the German stamp-collecting forum and the illustration seem to me to explain that use of "land" in cancels. Ergo, such a "land" cancel doesn't tell you exactly which post office
that mail originally came from, but rather the next step in its journey. You can only know the point of origin if you can also see its postmark -- if it applied one. Too bad (for me) they didn't do the kind of U.S. postmark that identifies which rural substation from where a piece of mail first comes.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of a "LAND" cancel from my postal history collection, for the topic. This was mailed at the Neulandhalle (New Land Hall) on the Adolf-Hitler-Koog, but did not receive a proper cancel on the stamp until it arrived in Marne (Holstein) Land.

Linus

(a koog translates to polder in English, a tract of land reclaimed from the sea.)

Edited by Linus - 03/18/2021 11:58 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05