Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commemoratives Less Than Postcard Rate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Valued Member

148 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perf10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most commemorative stemps issued since 1940 are, of course, denominated at the then current first class, first ounce rate. I began to wonder how many have been denominated at less than the then current postcard rate. The only issue that came to mind is 1972's 2 cent Cape Hatteras, 1448-1451. There must be more such commemoratives, no? Which am I forgetting? Wikipedia lists postcard rates through history at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...ostage_rates
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2464 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a few, 1 cent War, Defense, Lincoln for starters
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, good, I figured there were more. That reminds me about the 1 cent FDR in 1945.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postcard rate, USA domestic, was 1 cent from 7-1-1928 through 12-31-1951; 2 cents from 4-14-1925 through 6-30-1928 and 1-1-1952 through 7-31-1958. It rose to 3 cents 8-1-1958, 4 cents 1-7-1963 and a nickel 1-7-1968.

Thus three named above are not correct, Roosevelt, War and Defense.

The re-issued S/S designs and denominations of the Columbians, Trans-Mississippi, 1901 issue all had values under the then current postcard rate. Others can chime in from here.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 03/19/2021 2:06 pm
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 cent postcards during WWII, OK, so then we're down to just 1959's 1c Lincoln #1113 and 1972's 2c Cape Hatteras, unless someone can think of others
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to be a pest Perf10 but I listed a dozen and a half other stamps with this which I quote from above, "The re-issued S/S designs and denominations of the Columbians, Trans-Mississippi, 1901 issue all had values under the then current postcard rate."

Here I will help you:

Columbians of 1992, postcard rate 19 cents, issued values below that were, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 and 15 cents.

Trans-Mississippi of 1998, postcard rate 20 cents, issued values below that were, 1, 2, 4, 5, 8 and 10 cents.

Pan-American of 2001, postcard rate 20 cents, issued values below that were, 1, 2, and 4 cents.
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose those qualify too, but since they are reissues of stamps dating from before the time period under consideration, they might deserve a category of their own.

The interesting part, to me at least, is to speculate and learn why any commemorative would be denominated below postcard rate. I suppose the Lincoln 1 cent provided room to honor the man via multiple stamps, ala FDR. The 2c Cape Hatteras's se-tenant block of 4 could be used as a block to pay the 8c first class rate, a creative stamp layout idea, one I'm surprised has not been done again.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reissues are different stamps than the originals. Different paper, different perforations, different formats nor did it end there, the Trans-Mississippi were issued as bi-color to mention one obvious difference.

Carrying the original values forward was not always done. The Scott #1 and #2 designs for the Pacific '97 sheets were raised from the original 5 and 10 to 50. and 60 cents. Plus to top off some changes for the issued stamps, original definitive designs were reissued as commemorative designs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05