Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Collect, Or Do You Hoard?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 2,788Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, parcelpostguy, I've been to your "uncle's" place, the one that has vehicles that don't work any more, and I have to admit, some of them are pretty cool.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I'll even write a letter to Uncle. The issue of hoarding stresses me a bit, as I buy many stamps that don't necessarily have to do with each other but which interest ME. In many ways, I fear that if my collecting habits become too disparate, I will cease to have a collection of interesting things and start to just have an accumulation. If I die (if?) I don't want my stamps to be sold in one of those horrid "accumulation lots" you see so many of at estate sales and on eBay, oh grandad kept every letter he ever received, he collected worldwide, so and so. I fear being a worldwide collector. I am really trying to specialize and remain in a single relatively smallish area. I don't want 7500 glassines with stamps of various countries. I met a man who sorts not by country but by color, face value, shape, postmark orientation. Hoarding and accumulation become quite interesting collections with the right eye. I just fear whoever finds my collection won't have the right eye
Edited by oldboldandbrash - 03/20/2021 01:15 am
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I've been holding back, but I picked up a collection from a trader/hoarder. Seems in the old days, my great grandmother traded. It started with US Postage, went to Revenue then International. She traded with hundreds of other worldwide traders and collected anything that she didn't already have.

Money and Value wasn't the issues, uniqueness to her was and since she was trading, the collection was primarily on the low end cancelled but it grew to over 120,000 mostly before 1940. As OldBoldandBrash stated, I guess I have the right eye, because this collection/hoard has fascinated me for several years, and I bet it will be many more before I actually know what is in it. I've learned so much already and look forward to that continuing.

Who knows which type I finally become.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5191 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   08:59 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I consider myself a philatelic hoarder/accumulator. While I do specialize in several areas, I also will buy anything philatelic if I perceive it to be a good value and there's potential down the line on the flip. I'm also acquiring material now, when I can afford it, for when I retire and finances will be more constrained.

Also, as someone who focuses on cancels and plate varieties, depending on the stamps in question, I view huge accumulations of thousands as a veritable gold mine, not just mixtures/refuse of minimal value or interest.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, your description of hoarding by the APA was a little disturbing. I have more than 100,000 Germania stamps but in my defense they are sorted by catalog number. At least I am not yet at the level of the Collyer brothers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1145 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the amount of clutter in my home, I sometimes worry that I might be a hoarder, but I still believe that I'm a collector. If categorization and organization are the distinguishing factors, I'm definitely a collector.

My problem is that I collect a lot of different things, not just stamps and postal stationery. My J.R.R. Tolkien reference library is formidable; I have over 50 copies of The Hobbit alone, in various editions and languages. I have a large collection of DVDs, all of them inventoried. My J-pop CD checklist is a thing of beauty, with codes indicating whether or not I have the obi strip or various first press extras (photo card, postcard, poster, etc.). I've recently been expanding into phone cards, especially Japanese ones, but they're all catalogued and on display in a binder, which is nearly at capacity.

If it doesn't have a practical use and I don't actively "collect" it, I'll generally avoid it. I don't have enough storage space to accommodate a lot of junk. If an auction lot has one thing that I want and nine things that I don't, I'll tend to shy away unless I REALLY want that one thing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at Lot 1035. It is perfect for the novice or veteran hoarder alike!

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/X/x042152.cfm#328
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5191 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Meh. No material pre-1870. Useless.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1953 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 1035 kind of reminds me how much of my material is organized at present.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The lots marked "office pick up only, old time collection, Unsorted" are the great lots for bargains. There was a very witty post here explains what the description really means.
Unsorted, we looked at some of the material and decided not to waist our time on the rest.
Office pick up only, there's more crap here than we care to send. At least 80#s
Old time collection: completely unorganized - no rhyme nor reason.
Start acts 100.00
Holy gamoly . What a bargain, a buck a pound.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Mr. Fun city, see what you started
In a serious note, it's good to reflect on our own decisions.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Kelleher's April Hoarders auction should be posted shortly. I hear that there is a 91 carton lot of pre 1870 material just calling out for Dan's attention!
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam: it's all his.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5350 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 1035 ,sounds way over price ,starting at over $3,000 a box . Would need many hours of viewing to get to that price.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   6:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A horde is what you have if you put all your material away and stop actively working on; as long as you are actively working with your material then you are a collector and you have a collection.
Don
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 2,788Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05