Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Collect, Or Do You Hoard?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 2,791Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would thinking about it be considered working on it?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One often gathers, collects, hoards an area until there is enough for the exhibit. Then it is sorted, organized, written up and the story is told. Now if you just want stamps, any stamps, that is easy to accumulate. If you want a single frame (16 album pages) of the 31 day 5 cent postage due penalty rate, that may take more than your life time.

That said, I have chased parcel post (gee why do I have that forum name?) since 1983. I have lots of covers. Yet today, I purchased an item I never knew existed personally or via all my reading. It was a single item with one bidder against me. That is a nice way to get something but there are times we need to buy a whole pile because that one needed item is sold as part of the pile. And lastly, we can get piles and piles of stuff to look through for items we never knew existed until, well, it was looking at us as we sorted the huge pile. Does the pile have value? Can't tell until I look.

There is a difference between clutter (lack of organizing space) and hoarding (the negative or unhealthy term--none of us would turn down a hoard of gold and silver). Clutter is made up of stuff which you will find similar items in a museum, maybe a very specialized one but a museum nonetheless and some junk (junk equals value to someone else like the metal recycler).

Hoarders collect old stuff which is likely broken with no hope they will have time to repair it, food which they have no hope of eating before being spoiled, clothing that really is just nesting material for rodents with all things generally unclean. Some folks may have isle ways between there stuff. Is that hoarding, before you answer, all that "the stacks" in a libraries are just a hoard of books separated by isles.

Also value must not be in just the eye of the beholder. The beholder must be able to explain to an informed third party who agrees to the value of the item. Old rotten food has no value and a value cannot be created with words, move that rotten food out of a hoarders house and into a worm compost and then yes it has value eventually, not as food however and not in its initial form. Now some folks can look as group of old dolls and say they are worthless child's toys needing to be tossed because clearly someone "can't let go". Others may see re-homed play value and others still may see a significant part of Americana called the Barbie Hall of Fame, aka Barbie Museum, which was located in Palo Alto (that Palo Alto, silicon valley, home to the Hewlett-Packard garage). Yes, I took, actually was required to take, the kid and her mom. I was duly impressed but I was a piker in comparison to them. Then it lost its lease (rising property values on steroids). The work of love was purchased by Mattel Corp, all 21,000 plus items. Not bad for worthless old children's toys. Oh, the isles just met fire code. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...-2935124.php

In short, there is no simple, clean answer.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 03/20/2021 7:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   04:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like this topic. If you asked my wife, she would tell you I am a hoarder. But I have known some real hoarder's, like a former boss who never had a place to sit in his office except behind his desk because all the chairs were full of material he might need someday. And there was a path between boxes so you could get into the office to stand during a meeting.

I am somewhere between collector and philatelist - with a touch of hoarding thrown in. Finally, in my advancing age, I have assembled a couple of albums that are really a delight to look through and in which I have real pride. But I have a box full of glassines which are mostly duplicates and several backup albums where dups also get stored (in case I get lucky and have a grandchild who develops interest in stamp collecting). But I have boxes of memorabilia I just can't seem to part with, things I remember from my working days, plaques I have no place to hang any longer, etc. Fortunately I have a garage but no room in it to park a car.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do think that the older you are and the more tough times you may have experienced impacts your hoarding potential. Folks that went through the Great Depression saved a LOT of stuff. Farmers also.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
880 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know many people who "over-collect" until the collection threatens to take over some of their living space - but if it is still somewhat organized, I wouldn't call it a hoard.

To rodgdcam's point - the only hoarder I know personally is an elderly relative of mine, who was a child in occupied Europe & experienced hardship - unimaginable to most of us - during those years. She is unable to dispose of anything - no matter how "useless" it may seem to all else - and her family has needed to intervene periodically to help.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic really got me to thinking. I used to feel more like a philatelist but decided I wanted to get back into Worldwide, using Scott Volume I, 1840-1940, and thinking about abandoning my more specialized collections of Hungary, Scandinavia and the Baltics, and US.

Now I realize that, while Vol I is great for "collecting", the more minor variations and some of the higher value ones, do not have a space in there. I had even moved some of my stamps into Vol 1, eg, from my White Ace US album, and my Minkus Scandinavia and the Baltics.

After reading people's thoughts here, I realize I am a philatelist at heart. It is a lot of work and has involved soaking off some hinges, and checking perfs and watermarks, and comparing colors, but I am moving those stamps back to their specialized albums.

I know I could create my own pages, even did one for my granddaughter as an experiment, but my printer doesn't handle larger than letter sized pages. I will do that for some of my collection, like my Birds on Stamps.

So, I am a philatelist for some of my collection, and a collector for worldwide, not to mention my hoarding of other stuff. But I don't fit the hoarder category too well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger wrote: "folks that went through the Great Depression saved a lot of stuff." I was a late birth to parents who lived through both the Depression and World War II. After my father passed at the end of 1992, it took me almost two weeks in early '93 to clean out their 2 bedroom apartment and one car garage. He was the one who introduced me to collecting in 1960, at age 10. He had several small boxes of stamps ,stashed in a closet, that I didn't even know existed.

Bobby T wrote: "I have boxes of memorabilia that I can't seem to part with...." Same here. But, since December, I've been doing a major clean out and re-organization in my house; the world wide stamp collection was downsized previously and I've been cleaning out miscellaneous "stamping" paperwork. Non-stamping, I've found credit card and bank statements from the late 1990s. Hello shredder! On the shredder list for this week are paycheck stubs from the first several years on the job here in Colorado; as in, early 1980s.

For philately and otherwise, I call it the "get lean and mean syndrome." If I don't do it, then my executor will have a large dumpster in the driveway after I pass, and everything goes, including important items.
Edited by Climber Steve - 03/29/2021 10:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5191 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Same here. But, since December, I've been doing a major clean out and re-organization in my house; the world wide stamp collection was downsized previously and I've been cleaning out miscellaneous "stamping" paperwork. Non-stamping, I've found credit card and bank statements from the late 1990s. Hello shredder! On the shredder list for this week are paycheck stubs from the first several years on the job here in Colorado; as in, early 1980s.

For philately and otherwise, I call it the "get lean and mean syndrome." If I don't do it, then my executor will have a large dumpster in the driveway after I pass, and everything goes, including important items.

Yep. One of my big projects when I retire in September is to go through my entire house, all the closets, etc. and start cleaning out stuff. Philatelically, I need to start going through some of the many non-revenue cartons of stuff, pick out what to save and then start putting carton lots on eBay and let stuff go.

It's hard to tackle those types of tasks on a start-stop basis around a full-time job.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5669 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I don't understand is that, since I retired six years ago, I've been disposing of all manner of things. Half of my cigarette card collection, and all of the duplicates. Big swathes of my stamp collection, and loads of duplicates. Most of my postcards. A four-figure total of books. And still the place seems full of stuff. I suppose I'd now have been confined to a square-yard if I hadn't got rid of so much ...
Valued Member
United States
45 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aucguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife who I love dearly would say I am a hoarder, because I have too much and many of those little pieces of paper. But in reality I am a collector because once I have gone through what I buy take what I want, I sell at the club auction as a box lot and all my box lots start at $1.00. That way nothing comes home with my except my new purchases.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
309 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
|Guys hasn't anyone told you you have less free time when you retire?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to hoard, then I collected, now I will likely be hoarding again after viewing Kelleher's upcoming Collections auction. There is no escape. My wife did not need that extra room anyway. Right? I mean really.
Valued Member
Australia
22 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Toevah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find there can be a tendency of stamp snobbery, to look down on collectors who don't research their stamps in detail or depth. This strikes me as wrong. I used to collect stamps because I got a deep sense of enjoyment from just looking at them, little snapshots of time and pieces of art. It's only very recently I've gotten an interest in philately.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tovah - there may be some of that snobbery here, But I haven't witnessed it. In fact, when I was complaining about the plethora of birds on stamps, my topical area, it was pointed out that if we like collecting them, who cares if they have been used or were ever likely to be used for postage, as long as they were intended to be postage and could be used to mail. I even had someone here suggest to me, when complaining that I only get metered mail, that collecting meters can be fun too. So I think the predominant sentiment that I hear on this site is collect what you like. Just had some interesting discussions about filling high value holes with space fillers - I really like the attitudes I have seen here. Collect what you like and honor those who collect differently - we all get enjoyment out of the hobby. BobbyT
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Toevah, I listed the types of collectors in an earlier post, so If you took it the wrong way, I wasn't making a judgement just pointing out the differences that I consider collector "types" or categories. I know a good number of people who don't really do any research beyond a simple look up and started out that way myself. But I am a self-confessed information hoarder and just can't help my own obsessions.

From my point of view, as long as you're not damaging the stamps you collect, you're doing it the right way! But that again, is just my two-cents.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 2,791Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05