Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member From South Florida USA

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 407Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add autoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All - Just returned to the hobby after 50 years. Focus is on GB 1840 to 1880, Imprimaturs and Plating the Penny Reds and Penny Blacks. I hope I am up to the challenge.
Any recommendations on a decent scanner? I tried one of the cheap Chinese microscopes and was not impressed.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
364 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Waving to you from Riverview, FL Autoy. Welcome back to the hobby! Can't help with the scanner suggestion but sure you'll find some advice here.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome from central Florida.

That's an interesting challenge/objective.

Look forward to following your progress.
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
autoy,

I use an off the box store shelf HP4500 office jet multi unit. It works just fine especially if you set the dpi (pixil density) up to 600 or more when you want to maginfy in to small detail.

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3696 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back, Autoy, to this wonderful hobby. I use several pieces of equipment to help me identify stamps. (Definitely an overkill according to my better half.)

When I look at early GB and try to see plate numbers, etc., I use a Celestron USB microscope. This is quick and easy to setup and look at those features of interest. It also takes pictures, but usually only of a small area. USB microscopes are usually small and mobile, so easy to have on your desktop and easy to move aside when you don't need it.

For scanning, there are many, many options. I use an older Canon LiDE 220 which, with manipulation, can scan up to 4800 dpi, which is way too much. Usually 600-1200 is plenty. This takes longer than the Celestron, so I only scan when I need a picture of the entire stamp to put in my files.

For specialty looks at watermarks (which you probably don't need for GB stamps), I have an AverMedia projector. This one was difficult to find, but allows you to have backlit pictures, so you can see exactly where the watermark lies, it's orientation, and whether it is a potential cause of something odd on the front side of the stamp. I only use it for watermark questions. Most people use watermark fluid, then try to take a quick picture or a scan, with limited luck.

There are several threads on here about the best models to get. Use the search function for more info. Have a great time and welcome to the team.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1890 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings from Tampa autoy and welcome to the forum! Would be awesome to see some images of your collection. Do you collect any Commonwealth, or strictly GB?
United States
0 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   05:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add autoy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the guidance - I am not very computer savvy so please bear with me. One more question please.
Can anyone recommend an honest expert in the South Florida area? I have several Penny Blacks that I would
like to have authenticated. I am located in Bonita Springs.
Again - thanks for the welcome and I look forward to working with you all.
Best regards
Dave
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31871 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scanner:
Epson "Perfection" Series V Photo
Used for 15 years without issue, until this year.
Seiko Software built in.

This scan brought to you by the Epson V200 Photo (Circa 2011 $180)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1890 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave-

The most knowledgeable dealer near you is New England Stamp in Naples. They may be able to help with plating of Penny Blacks- especially Gary who is the son of the owner. That said, they could not be expected to help with ID's for free. Is your goal to plate items for your collection, or to sell some of them?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1480 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   09:49 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello from Alva!!

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
United States
609 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   10:00 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shout out from Parrish!

Tom
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
201 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Stamp Community! I'm also here in Florida, so I'll look for your posts.

There was a pretty good discussion of scanners for the purpose of plating at this thread:

http://goscf.com/t/76877

For microscopes, I love my Nikon SMZ-1B stereo microscope. If you can find a rebuilt one, the price isn't too bad. I paid $325 for the one pictured below. The Nikon SMZ-1B uses the Greenough optic design; it has two objectives lenses on the bottom and the exit axes of the eyepieces are divergent about 7 degrees, not parallel. The guy who sold it to me is quite an expert, and he told me he'd never met anyone who could not immediately merge the binocular images to get stereo vision.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
154 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   08:35 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. I am in Bradenton, FL and can confirm the forum has been most helpful in many ways. The tech wizardy shown here is remarkable and I have learned quite a lot in terms of managing the images. You can see what I have posted (I think) and see that my images have come a long way in terms of quality. I use HP Office jet pro and downloaded the VueScan that was recommended here. It has helped me along with no real issues other than the investment of time which I can say was well worth it.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Autoy. I am not from Florida or into plating, but I am sure you will enjoy connecting with those on this forum. I have had many "hiatuses" in my collecting but 50 years is a long time to be gone. Have you always been into the same part of collecting? Do you still have your 50 year old collection?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
787 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to out site.
Albert
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 407Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05