Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another German Puzzler For Me

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EdziuMM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I read this 1940's Nazi Germany cancel as being from "LAAK (ZA...."
But I can't find any of the Laaks that were in Germany, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands in or near another place beginning with "ZA...."
Can anyone help me to know which Laak this cancel came from? My thanks in advance for any help.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5521 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laak (Loka pri Mengsu) is in "Oberkrain", or Upper Carniola, Slovenia. This is an area Germany annexed during WWII.

Nice cancel!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/22/2021 12:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
682 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laak Koningsberg is also a possibility.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5521 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johan, I believe the "ZA" in the cancel indicates "ZAIER", for Zaier River. The 1944 Ortsverzeichnis (official postal directory) lists Laak a.d. Zaier.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/22/2021 12:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
778 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laak an der Zaier is Skofja Loka in Slovenia.

ZA may stand for Zarz (Sorica). This is a German-speaking part of the Oberkrain in Slovenia in which Laak and der Zaier appears to be located.
Edited by NSK - 03/22/2021 12:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France
1634 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For confirmation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1353 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool postmark. If I had that stamp in my collection, I'm thinking about where I would put it in my album. It's sort of like an occupation stamp--German occupation of Yugoslavia.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 03/22/2021 2:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! You people are great!
I never thought of Slovenia. Wish I had the reference sources you all have.
Re Trainwreck's comment: Yes, it means I'll move it! My collection of place cancels is organized by which country the places are in NOW. And so I'll move this Laak out of the Germany pages and into those of Slovenia.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05