Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Midnight Angel Cinderella - Used As Postage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 262Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This cover from my USA postal history collection was mailed from Fresno, California, USA to Des Moines, Iowa, USA, sometime around 1995 or 1996, the exact date is not legible. The cover contained an OCR stub and a MICR check to pay the sender's insurance premium. The cover is franked with a Midnight Angel cinderella, similar to design A2321, listed in the Scott Catalogue. This design was used for Scott #3012 (booklet) and #3018 (coil). The cinderella also has a simulated printed cancel for SANTA CLAUS IN DEC 25 PM as part of the design. In the second scan, I placed a used #3012 below the cinderella, for size comparison to a real postage stamp. No year date on the cinderella in the lower left corner. Obviously, this cinderella was never intended to carry the mail, but it did!

My questions: Does anyone know who created this cinderella? Does the actual town of Santa Claus, Indiana, USA provide a clue to the source? Anybody have a sheet of these, or other examples of how they were intended to be used? Perhaps they came with a box of stationery as flap seals?

One of the mysteries in my collection, I have wondered about this one for many years. Perhaps somebody knows.

Thanks in advance,
Linus

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postalpicker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What makes you so sure that this is not a 3021?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you mean 3012, as a 3021 is an antique automobile stamp.

See my second scan. The cinderella is "huge" in comparison to the 3012 example I laid on the cover below the cinderella.

I have a Bug Bunny stationery set from this time period, in a cool Bugs Bunny tin, in my collection. The title page of the stationery set is scanned below. There are not any Bugs Bunny seals in this set, but perhaps the USPS had a license agreement for this cinderella with somebody who got permission to make this seal.

My only other thought is... Santa Claus was paying up his liability insurance on the old sleigh, just before Christmas!

Linus

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05