Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Stanley Gibbon Purchase Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 319Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
so a couple of weeks ago I received my order from Stanley Gibbons - Queen Victoria Part 1 and 2021 Commonwealth & Brit Empire catalogues. I so far have only had a SG India soft cover catalogue. I am now for the 1st time looking at the Commonwealth catalogue. Its very creaky when opening, being new and all. But I noticed that the pages backing is not attached to the spine. Not ever having had one of these - is this normal? When compared to the smaller Q Victoria catalogue, its attached to the spine.

Commonwealth car w/ bad spine?

The Queen Victoria

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1890 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks normal to me, designed to allow the book to open flatter.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5509 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see any evidence of either a tube or mull; both of these support items are "standard" on better, older hardcover books. As a personal book/catalog, these should be fine, for many years, if not ideal.

As textbooks, or library books they wouldn't hold up as well, IMO/experience.
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tks. I know nothing about binding , but I guess the smaller book looks different bc it was binded differently. The larger Commonwealth catalog sounds like it needs to be oiled it creeks and cracks so much when opening and turning the pages. Not to mention it's just looks different on the edge.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
14 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Goodwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shame about the scuffing on the cover of the 2021 Commonwealth/Empire catalogue.
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may have done that taking off putting back on shelf. Seems like a different, slicker, shows scuffs easier material than the QV book. Definitely different materials and as mentioned, when just holding the Commonwealth cat when closed, the binding makes creaking cracking sounds. If one were to hold it and turn / move it when closed it sound creaky.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05