Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cuba And Puerto Rico Judicial Revenue Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 406Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
82 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I expanded my revenue collecting to Include the Judicial revs from the former Spanish colonies Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines.
I did win on eBay a nice lot to jumpstart this collection.
This new area meets my self imposed criteria.
1. Stamps must be from before year 1900
2. Stamps must be low costs compared to my main collection of Thailand revenues. Indeed I paid below $1 per stamp.
3. The collecting area must be unpopular (low prices) and difficult to find. This last is done thanks to the US government who does not allow the sale of products made in Cuba and eBay does not accept the name Cuba when listing stamps. So looking for these stamps you have to search for Kuba, Uba, Spanish Caribbean, Spanish Colonies, ???? etc
Below my newly acquired goodies.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31952 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not seen those before Jos, very nice.
Could not locate them either in my Cuba Revenue Catalogues
What source do you use?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   03:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,
For these revenues, I use Forbin available on Stampsmarter.
Additionally for the Philippines revs there is a very good listing by Warren.
All or most of these stamps are between 1856 and about 1880

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31952 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   03:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm
wonder why Judicial apparently not listed in mine ?
Perhaps considered "Officials"?
I also thought I had read sello judicial began in 1862 not 1856.
I have been looking mainly in my Cuban folder,

Needs some research.
Perhaps I have a look under my Puerto Rico

PS: I have the Warren Catalogue, (and Forbin) I'll make a Reconnoitre.

Using my Cuban Bibliograhy source, could only find this...
Edited by rod222 - 03/24/2021 04:08 am
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1856-1864 issue are on the first 2 scans.(mentioned in your reference, Garcia)
The 1865-1880's issues are on scan 3 and following.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31952 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bingo!
Found the Judicial in FIRST! paragraph of Warren.

Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started to mount my newly acquired Philippines, Porto Rico and Cuba revenue stamps from the Spanish period.
Forbin (Stampsmarter) is my guide line, but its very challenging to learn enough to make album pages. All pages shown are cropped.
It will be a challenge to fill all those empty spots in my album pages. When I receive new additional stamps, I will update the album pages plus correct any mistakes

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31952 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jos,
are these digital pictorial pages? I cannot determine these days.
(The recent Wurrtemberg pages)
Nice informative Pages
You may have a typo in the 1866 page "siver Real"

I have similar problems, scanning my collection on white pages,
the resultant scan appears washed of colour.
I employ Picasa to do an "Auto contrast" (1 click)
Edited by rod222 - 04/11/2021 04:37 am
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, This are pictures from a flatbed scanner 100dpi, because the size is still to large for SCF, I have to crop the edges of the pages.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod thanks for the tip on Picasa for the contrast.
Sometime, but not this time, I put a black sheet on the topof the scanning page, it will refelct the light less I guess.

Jos
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31952 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   05:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod, This are pictures from a flatbed scanner 100dpi,

Wow!
Your stamps are perfectly centred in your clear mounts ! extraordinary!
well done you. You'll have to teach me how to do that.

I scan full pages at 200dpi

If you care to, send me a full example page, I'll auto contast,and send it through the SCF Optimiser, and post here.
See if you like it.

Cheers

Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   05:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod its easy to center the stamps in the mount.
I put a number of stamps in a mount strip and then cut with a old (35 years) wheel cutter. The wheel is not sharp anymore so the cutting edges are slightly sealed together. This keeps the stamps good in place.
When I mount the stamp, I just center the stamp in the middle of the black box, I do not line the mount up with the box but the stamp!! so always kind of perfect
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31952 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jos,
nothing much I can do with it, it was just a piddly 221 Kb

What I meant was, to send a scan of the whole Page, at 200dpi
and I'll work with that.

Here is the 1 click auto contrast,
at least now, beginning to see some perforation teeth.

Edited by rod222 - 04/11/2021 06:46 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31952 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jos,
You should be able to target this sort of clarity at 200 DPI
on a full A4 sheet of stamps on white paper
Click image to enlarge.
Edited by rod222 - 04/11/2021 06:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5840 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect these, but I do buy them when I see them, and you've assembled an admirable group.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounted the first series of Judicial stamps from Cuba, Philippines and Porto Rico 1856-1865.
There are many shades due to printing and or aging. I try to collect from each shade some 3 samples. The few stamps mounted outside a black box will be added in the next revision of the pages. I put most of this section of the collection together during the past 6 months.
All pictures shown below are cropped.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 406Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05