Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Book Title In Greek

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
39 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add indigo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is a book by J.C. Coutsis whose english title is "The Greek post offices & their postmarks from 1861 to 1900", but I am interested in its original title in greek. The only photo of the cover I can find is very tiny and blurred and so is hard to read, and I have shown it below.
I can make out this much:
#932;#945; #949;#955;#955;#951;#957;#953;#954;#940; #964;#945;#967;#965;#948;#961;#959;#956;#949;#943;#945; ..... #954;#945;#953; ... #945;#960;#972; 1861 #941;#969;#962; 1900

Can anyone fill in the gaps for me please? To make it more awkward, the title in the image in in upper case and I would like it all in lower case. Thank you to anyone who has 1. great eyesight and 2. knows enough greek!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
New Zealand
39 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear me ... when I previewed this posting it looked nice:

but then when I uploaded it and viewed it again the greek letters have all been replaced by numbers:

If anyone can handle the pc better than me, and can actually type greek letters that stay looking they way they should after being uploaded, I will be most grateful!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by indigo - 03/24/2021 8:17 pm
Learn More...
9365 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   8:49 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The forum was implemented years ago and at that time the SQL database was not configured to support non-English characters sets (that support would have required more disk space and memory). While it is possible to covert to this now, it would require large amounts of man hours and money.
Don
Valued Member
New Zealand
39 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
I guess the preview really is a preview ... it is ahead of its time!
If the technology cannot handle non-english letters I certainly understand. My question does specifically require the use of greek letters so I will try some other means to get there.
Thanks.
Learn More...
9365 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   9:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your workaround above (an image) is probably the best approach.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1592 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps you could contact the Hellenic Philatelic Society (in Athens):

https://hps.gr/index.php/en/classic/
Valued Member
India
495 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
India
495 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Joy Daschaudhuri - 03/25/2021 06:30 am
Learn More...
9365 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   07:22 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Greek Post Offices and Their Stamps from 1861 to 1900"
(Google Translate, so unsure of the delta between 'Stamps' and 'Postmarks')
Don
Valued Member
New Zealand
39 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to those who have responded, the information is exactly what I needed. The lovely picture by Joy Daschaudhuri makes it much easier to read the characters, and I am also grateful for the nice lowercase rendition. I now see both greek and german have special rules for how you write the sound "s" at the end of a word, just to make it harder for those who know only english.
Google translate does a great job at translating, but phrases things a bit differently. So if you put the english book title into Google translate, what you get back in greek is not quite what the author originally wrote, hence my delight at the much better picture. I am sure the Google translation conveys the same information, but I was trying to capture the exact wording of the original title. The lowercase image provided by Joy is exactly what I needed.
Thank you again to you all.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05