Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS "Delivering For American Plan" Higher Prices And Slower Deliveries

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Valued Member

332 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NOT A POLITICAL ARTICLE/POST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...q-usps-plan/

Very comprehensive article about Postmaster's DeJoy's 10 year plan for the USPS.

From the article:

"When asked about the new pricing in an interview Tuesday, DeJoy said to read the regulatory ruling allowing the Postal Service to raise prices. Well, we have read the ruling (all 484 pages). At most, it's about 9 percent. That's not a meaningful increase when it comes to sending a letter; a 9 percent increase would push a 55-cent stamp to about 60 cents. But it's a big increase for businesses that send lots of letters, such as banks, insurance companies and utilities."

Very impressive the reporters read all 484 pages!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I posted earlier the re org report released Tuesday addresses the business problem of the PO. The move to more packages less 1st class mail. This is a pivot for the PO. PMG Dejoy deserves some credit for strategically altering the current decline by creating an alternative business model. The hard part will be implementing the re org and coming up with the necessary funding to do so. At least there is some semblance of a plan that addresses the issues. Dejoy walked into the PO lastMay or so. He did not cause the decline. When he asked for emergency funding last August Congress declined to support him. That's how we got to where we are. The new Congress gave him 10 billion in funding, to just maintain. Where we are now.
Cheers
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The re org report is online and about 60 or so pages. Easy read. My impression is well thought. For background the GSA has a 2020 report, last I saw, it is based on the 2019 year. That outlines problem/solution. Both are online. Funny, my IPad 1 can't do Wikipedia but can do SCF and govt. reports.
Learn More...
9500 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   08:16 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/p...nce-1926.htm

First Class mail volume has been decreasing since 2002; a person would have to be blind to not notice that First Class volume was falling off a cliff by 2010 (over a decade ago!). In my opinion the USPS fully understood this was happening and were trying to transition by downsizing and making other logistical changes over the last two decades. It is only now, in this environment of division and hatred, that the downsizing and transition has become the Superbowl of political football.

This year's First Class mail volume is projected to be the lowest since 1950.
Don
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The re org paper put out is very informative!
cheers
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back Pooring concrete.
. No offense Don , the problem has been well documented. We know what the issues are.
It's the solution that is hard. PMG has proposed a solution.
After 170 years of infrastructure based on first class mail, a pivot has been proposed.
When you think about that ,....it's a shift of monumental proportions. Away from mail and towards packages.
Which will require a monumental shift in the USPS . Closing letter processing plants, opening parcel

processing plants. (Not synonymous ) .All detailed in n Dejoys reorg. After 170 years of first class mail infrastructure he is proposing a shift, after 20 years of data. I always say give the devil his due.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6425 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great plan. Will Congress let it be implemented?
Learn More...
9500 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   5:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries GMC89.

I think that the PMG can 'propose' until the cows come home, unless he has the support of Congress he isn't going to be able to do more than make noise.

At the beginning of the 1900s, RFD was really catching but the US Post Office Department still had no parcel post services. Other countries were handling millions of parcels but here in the US this business was owned by private Express Services and not the Post Office Department. Repeatedly (for decades) various Postmaster Generals tried to get Congress to allow them to start a Parcel Post service. And for decades they were not allowed by Congress. In the press it was blamed on things like the new RFD services and the 'inability' for the vehicles (like Model Ts) to carry parcels.

But in my opinion the primary issue was that executives for the private Express companies were also Congressmen. . For example, Senator Thomas Platt, Chairman of the Committee on Transportation Routes also happened to be the President of the United States Express Company. These guys knew that if the Post Office Department started a Parcel Post service the Express Companies they owned/controlled/invested in would die off.

This is no different than today. A PMG can publish all the papers they want, they can propose X, Y, or Z; it does not matter. No logistical changes can happen without Congress approving, and this means that no jobs can be threatened, closing any facilities is picking a fight that can go on for months or years. The postal union simply picks up the phone, tells the Congressmen on the other end what they want and reminds them of the donation they have made and future ones they will make. And don't think that UPS and FedEx is sitting on the sidelines, they make donations too and the phone lines will be burning up as they remind Congressmen that the USPS already has a monopoly on mail services.

So I put little (if any) weight into anything that a PMG or the USPS proposes. USPS management has its hands tied by Congress and their funding mandates; for me it is all about 'follow the money'. That makes the solutions political, not logistical.

With that in mind, here are simple non-partisan things that I think would fix the USPS;
- Term limitations on all elected public servants
- Proper vetting of all public servants
- End or severely limit campaign contributions from private sector donors, no loopholes
- End lobbyists, super pacs, dark money influence on elected public servants, no loop holes
- Rigid control on public servant income guidelines while serving and after serving, no loop holes
- Restore discussion, debate, compromise and consensus in government

The above are many of the root causes of the problem, the PMG issuing logistical 'plans' will either never get off the ground or it will be completely modified and tailored to support the influence peddlers in Washington.

Some folks like to say that the USPS is a 'public service' and that even if it is losing money than all is fine. I'll buy into the 'public service' concept when the things outlined above are in place. To be honest I find it a bit hard to believe that anyone actually thinks that 'public service' is alive and well in Washington. <shrugs>
Don

Edit: Call me crazy but when I think about 'public service' I think about something like the Peace Corp; people making personal sacrifices to help others. Dedicated folks living in 'less than ideal' living quarters and earning very little income. I do not consider this the same as a Congressmen being paid six-figure salaries, pulling down additional seven figures for speaking/foundations/sitting on BODs, or 'working' in Congress for decades.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6425 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A recent example of how hard it is for the USPS to do anything is the new delivery vehicle contract award. It was announced as going to Oshkosh. next thing you know three members of Congress decided that the contract did not have enough EV in it. Stopped in it's tracks.
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, no offense intended.
It's hard to move ahead if we dwell in the past. The future does not belong to us but our children.
Having said that the PMG report is for not for now but for our future. Have faith that things can change. I have a friend who survived the Holocaust. He says there is always hope. Always hope!
Cheers
Learn More...
9500 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   5:42 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The keys of the past unlock the future.
Don
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 03/27/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way 3 members of my immediate family are Peace Corps Alumini
Cheers
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05