Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Tagging Errors And Oddties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,670Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He is a Scott 2027 "Red Calla Lily" that I have noticed some thing sort of weird with the tagging of these coil stamps...On a few of them there is a brighter tag half way up the stamp..Don't know why or how, but is there on a few of them.

Robert

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taggant application is not the same as printing ink. There is a lot more variety in the amount of taggant that a tagging mat applies. One of the reasons you see so much difference in the 'brightness' under a UV light

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a lot more variety in the amount of taggant that a tagging mat applies. One of the reasons you see so much difference in the 'brightness' under a UV light

Understood Peter...
Thanks for the info
Robert

And here is a tangent smear Peter on a Scott 782..But if you look at the LEFT stamp you can see a bit of the colour without the UV light.

Edited by wert - 04/13/2021 2:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a tagging difference I noticed between 1362 and 1362b 45 cent flag stamps..I noticed that when I looked at dozens of them and the sheet stamps {1362} were DULL tagging and all those I looked at {1362b} stamps hard BRIGHT tagging..See picture below...

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, depending on how intense the taggant is, sometimes you can see it a little in daylight. Remember, all light has a small UV component.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
596 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's good to know Peter, I always wondered about that (i.e. is it taggant or a yellow stain/highlighter/cancel).

It can be hard to tell.
Edited by 3Dadeo - 04/14/2021 2:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
520 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re the 782, if it is a used stamp, it may be part of a machine cancel - I've seen those yellow dashed ones before (not sure the technical term). Perhaps could also be highlighter?
Edited by stamps101 - 04/14/2021 12:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good news for those who want to use the "Adminware Tagging Database" for being able to send possible new errors for entry into the database.

A couple of days ago there was some confusion about who the editor was, but it has been updated...As shown below.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another stamp tagging that I can not explain.
This is a 1396 "flag stamp"..It is supposed to be GT4 tagging.

Their is no tagging on top, left and right side except a tagging line on the bottom...Not sure or how to explain it..???

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Finally found out what causes the bar at the bottom...Thank you to Mirko, the editor of the "tagging database"..

Quote:
Hi Robert:
The way the Flag coils were printed by Canadian Bank Note Co. resulted in a horizontal tagging bar overlap every 18th stamp (I believe...).  This was caused by the tagging cylinder (similar to the ink cylinder) re-engaging the stamp paper during the "step and repeat" printing process. The tagging and ink cylinders used by Canadian Bank Note Co. were actually only 1/4 and 1/2, respectively, of a full round cylinder, containing 18 / 36 stamps on each cylinder. This means that after making a pass and printing 36 stamps with the ink cylinder, it has to cycle back to its starting position while the paper web holds its place. The tagging cylinder does this twice as often.
Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple more of my tagging stamps.
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my cover with a Scott 1698.
This is not in the Tagging Database yet.
Just for collectors info....Will send it to the editor shortly.

Robert

Got the reply...Happy.

Quote:
Hi Robert:

Yes, that is the tagging type on the mis-diecut single on cover. A nice find!!
Edited by wert - 04/20/2021 6:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like shifted block tagging - very common on US stamps

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7544 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter.

The opposite of my stamp is in the Tagging Database...
Will send it in for authenticity.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
3530 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re 1698:
I see perfect registration of each of the visible inks and the taggant application. To me, this is not an EFO from the printing process at all, nor a tagging shift, but rather a minor die-cutting shift.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,670Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05