Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wonderful Inherited Collection From Israel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 576Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
22 Posts
Posted 03/30/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Toevah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I collected stamps as a child and still do so my father gave me his childhood stamp collection. He grew up near Galilee. It's primarily first day covers dating from 1949 to the late 1960s, but also loose stamps, mint and used. I particularly love these booklets that came with the first day covers - I've not seen them anywhere on the internet.
Oh. Even copped with the image optimiser, my photo is too big to post. Well, there is a booklet for every stamp series that I have a FDC for, and it has information on the stamps. On the cover it says "philatelic services, Jerusalem, Israel" and it is printed in Hebrew and English. Does anyone else have these?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Australia
22 Posts
Posted 03/30/2021   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Toevah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Got it to work!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Toevah. I collect Israel, including the FDC informational folders.

I am not aware of a source for obtaining missing folders. But there is a catalog that lists them.

Valued Member
Australia
22 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Toevah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You collect them? Excellent - can you tell me, have they been printed from the first issue? I have every one printed after the mid 1950s, but none from the early 1950s or 1949. It's probable that my dad just didn't decide to collect them until after he had a few covers, but I am not sure.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first folder is for the 1959 New Year issue. Thereafter, virtually every issue has a folder but It appears that one or two issues may have been missed. I'm not sure if it is because it was not issued or if the catalog compilers did not have one in hand for verification.
Valued Member
Australia
22 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Toevah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That will explain it. In that case, I'm not missing any. Thanks very much for your knowledge :) I didn't know much about the information booklets. I find them wonderful to look at, though.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
438 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also collected Israel for a number of years. I am sure these began to be issued with the first issue, and I have many of these beginning with 1948 but cannot be certain that I have one from the first issue.
I do believe that all the early issues had similar brochures, but I don't know when (or if) this was discontinued.

The reference book shown in an earlier post is pretty much the definitive source for information on these. I don't have it but know one of the authors and he is a thorough researcher.

Mike
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mml1942, I would love to see what some of these early folders look like. Would it be possible to scan a few of them? Thank you.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
438 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to locate my accumulation of these State of Israel Ministry of Post Flyers.

My files begin with Bulletin No. 6. Most of these early ones are printed on a lightweight off-white paper that is thinner that measures 5.5" x 8.5". The reverse of most was blank.

Bulletin No 6

Bulletin No. 7

Bulletin No. 8.
This flyer did not have the Bulletin No. 8 printed, but was in the correct sequence. It also was printed on both sides of the sheet, English and Hebrew.

Bulletin No. 9. This flyer measured 6.25" x 8.5".

In addition to this Bulletin, I also had a 8 page descriptive pamphlet for the first Air Mail stamp issue. EAch page measures 4" x 8"; the double pages shown are 8" x 8".

These pages follow. The first image shows the front and rear cover, or pages 1 & 8.

Pages 2 & 3

Pages 4 & 5

Pages 6 & 7

Edited by mml1942 - 03/31/2021 11:40 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
438 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Continuing with more of these Bulletins.

Bulletin No. 10.

Bulletin No. 11.

Bulletin No. 12.

Bulletin No. 13.

Bulletin No. 14.

Bulletin No. 15.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These new issue flyers or information sheets were produced in a variety of formats. My accumulation is not complete, but I have enough examples to determine the following. I'll report this information here although I suspect that the publications mentioned earlier has more precise information, but is not readily available to readers.

This first style was produced from the beginning through at least Bulletin No. 151

A new format was introduced with Bulletin No. 155 shown here. There was no printing on the reverse. Measurements were 8.5" x 5.5". I have examples of these printed on the thin paper seen in the first format, and some printed on a slick heavy paper. Some are present on both papers. The last example is Bulletin No. 286.

The next format measures 4.25" x 5.5", and includes Bulletins No. 287 through Bulletin No. 308. The image of the stamps is on the front side, and descriptive text is shown on the reverse. Again, both types of paper are seen.

Bulletins No. 309 through No. 542 measure 6.0" x 3.75", and again are printed on both sides. Both papers known.

My accumulation of these bulletins end here with Bulletin No. 542 for stamps issued in 1978.

I also have a group of folders like those shown by the original poster. These are trifold format, and the first group begins with Folder No. 42, issued 24 Feb 1964, and continues to Folder No. 153, issued for stamps 16 Jan 1973. Measurement folded is 3.75" x 5.875".

Beginning with Folder No. 162 and continuing to Folder 349, the size is slightly reduced to 3.75" x 5.25".

Germania notes above that the first Folder was prepared for 1959. I have no information as to how long they continued.

Folder No. 42.

I have no idea when, where or how I acquired these. I am sure that some came directly with new issues ordered directly from the Israel Ministry of Posts. Our Society of Israel Philatelists Chapter ordered these regularly beginning in the early 1970s.

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 04/01/2021 12:45 am
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for showing the Bulletins. I had not seen these before. They make an interesting collateral addition.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Germania:

Glad you enjoyed them.

I gather that the catalog cover illustration you posted earlier did not include illustrations of all of these, just listed the Bulletins and folders?

Mike
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also found in my accumulation was a group of eight (8) different Folders which described some of the poster stamps/labels that were issued by the KEREN KAYEMETH LEISRAEL or Jewish National Fund. In most of these, the descriptive text and the "Philatelic Details" are bilingual, but in several examples, the descriptive text was only provided in Hebrew.

My group was dated between March 1977 through May 1978. Whether these represent all that were prepared for this time period is unknown, or it these were prepared before or afterwards is unknown.

Here are two examples. These measure 9.5" x 6.0", printed on a slick, coated paper, and issued in a tri-fold format. There was no identifying number.

March 1977 Front:

March 1977 Inside:

March 1978 Front:

March 1978 Inside:

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 04/01/2021 1:04 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
8 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting discussion. I am a personal friend of Perrin who wrote the catalogue in the earlier post.He collected Israel material from the inception of the state until early 2000s. The data is based on his research and collection.
We looked for years for all of the folders, as I was helping him find material.Many are very common, but the early ones are are very hard to find as most of them were not kept. Even the Israel post office does not have copies of everything. I think he did eventually find most of the early ones.The Perrin collection was formed in the UK and on one visit to a dealer in Tel Aviv Perrin found quite by chance many of the early ones.
One series which is A5 [or bigger] was we think published by a newspaper describing the first few issues of the stamps. The folders turn up from time to time and I have many.
Edited by Triangle - 04/29/2021 2:40 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 576Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05