Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why The USA Post Office Prices Are So Expensive?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 495Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
123 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add naufrago to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi every body,have a question,why the us post office is so expensive? 30$ for a letter with a tracking number to France? awful,i have a problem with a client, I did not state that the stamp had no gum, big mistake,so my customer wanted to send back but hi wants me to paid for the return witch is impossible,Ebay does not allow us from France to buy a return bill,so my question is why,are they trying to make the usa postal service privet?????Thanks for any replay
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5532 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   1:23 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless it's vey valuable, can't you ask him to send it via standard international mail, and pay him the postage cost upfront via Paypal?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know where the $30 is coming from.

https://www.usps.com/international/...national.htm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5152 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   3:56 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, he said with tracking. 1st class international letters do not get tracking. For it to be a "letter" and get tracking you have to jump to Priority Mail International, hence the $30 amount.

It's likely cheaper to send as a light-weight 1st class international PARCEL, which would get tracking. Still likely $14 or so at minimum.
Edited by revenuecollector - 03/31/2021 3:57 pm
Valued Member
France
123 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHA the point is that the mr wants to send it as a regular mail and they cost 110$ so? I live in the mountains in France and this year I had _ envelopes missing so I cant take the risk of loosing another one but sounds very estrange to me that price,in here we paid 4 for international 1rst class with a tracking number on it
naufrago
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5152 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   5:50 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here we paid 4 for international 1rst class with a tracking number on it

Unfortunately what you pay to send something here has ZERO correlation with what it costs us to send something to you. The two postal systems have completely different costs. Maybe our costs should be lower, or yours higher, or something in the middle, but ultimately you cannot compare two different country's postal costs and expect them to be the same. You cannot blame the seller/shipper for what they are forced to pay.

You asked for a letter with a tracking number. He gave you the correct answer, but unfortunately it is more than you want to pay. That isn't his fault.
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the shipping cost is due to demands by eBay for tracking and such.

For international out going mail from the USA, it can get pricey. Likewise one can order and be shipped packages from China to the USA for a lower postage cost than mailing a letter to a neighbor across the street in the USA.

A lot of the international pricing is set by and at the UPU, Universal Postal Union. Countries actually have not that much control over international pricing.

The last US President actually got the term Universal Postal Union into the main stream press when complaining of the postage inequities for mail from the USA to location XYZ compared to the cost of sending the same item from XYZ to the USA. The China disparity I believe was the worst as the rate dated back to when China was categorized as a developing country.

https://time.com/5680413/trump-univ...ostal-union/

https://time.com/5687134/trump-univ...-union-deal/

Edit: Time.com (formerly Time Magazine) has now disabled the links since I first posted them in another thread here a couple of weeks back. That is something I can't control. The link 51studebaker posts below still covers the subject but in the philatelic press.

Here are good search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=tru...UDCAg&uact=5

and another good story: https://www.vox.com/2018/10/19/1799...union-treaty

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/01/2021 2:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2464 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I mail a letter to France, it costs 1.20 US$. How can they do it so inexpensively I wonder?
Pillar Of The Community
795 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A lot of the international pricing is set by and at the UPU, Universal Postal Union. Countries actually have not that much control over international pricing.

Considering that naufrago pays 4 for this service in France and I would pay 9.05, because it only is available as part of registration and registered mail from Russia carries a charges of 265 Roubles ( 2,5 - 3) shows that there is quite some control.

A basic international stamp for Europe costs 1.50 in Spain, 1.55 for the whole world from the Netherlands but 1.70 (around 2) in the UK. That is almost 30% more expensive in the UK than in Spain or the Netherlands.
Learn More...
9263 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   09:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to an online search...

Quote:

Prior to the UPU, countries negotiated individual treaties and set their own rates for postal services. Under the UPU, those rates and fees, including terminal dues, are standardized across the 192 members in groups based on the strength of each economy.

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...foreign-mail

Don
Valued Member
France
123 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DON,THANKS FOR THE ARTICLE,BUT STEEL BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION THE PRICES PRACTICE BU USPS FOR A SINGLE LETTER LESS THAN 20GS REGARDSAND THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR THE ADVISE
NAUFRAGO
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3090 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
naufrago:I dont know the value of the stamp in question but your buyer wants to give you a hard time.Just refund the guy through his paypal address and just send him 2$ again through paypal and ask hm to mail your stamp back by ordinary mail.(It may take weeks to get it anyway)If he is honest you will get it back.If he is dishonest just write it off...
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry perf12, if the dealer is following eBay's rules, he is an honest dealer. It is those rules requiring tracking which is what the $30 US postage provides.
Valued Member
441 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
there are troublesome buyers and troublesome dealers.

but a lot of all these returns could be avoided if sellers took their time describing their objects truthfully and competent.

theres a storm brewing in the danish auction world at the moment, seems some professionel dealers deliberately "forget" to describe their objects thoroughly in order to fetch a higher price.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1897 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but a lot of all these returns could be avoided if sellers took their time describing their objects truthfully and competent

I fully recognize that I am hopelessly biased in this regard, but I am a big believer that relatively few mistakes are made by sellers. Sellers go to a lot of trouble to find and describe characteristics that make a stamp MORE valuable, yet during such examinations they fail to note problems that should be part of their full disclosure.

For example, I have had dozens of instances where the seller went to the trouble to describe a stamp as MNH, yet they don't describe hidden toning spots or partially toned gum. So let me understand- you examined the gum for hinging but didn't notice that the gum was half brown/half normal? Bull...

Likewise, many sellers easily give in to the temptation of listing almost anything as MNH when a more focused examination will clearly show evidence of hinging. When this is brought to their attention, the response is often that their "eyesight isn't what it once was."

Nonsense. If this is the case, you should not be selling stamps, or at the very least, not sell any stamps as "MNH."

These situations simply happen too often to be a series of purely accidents or mistakes. But I no way am I passing judgement on the OP- mistakes do happen too.
Learn More...
9263 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   10:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the several thousand eBay listings reviews on the Stamp Smarter site I can only remember 2-3 listings that the misidentifications were in 'favor' of a buyer. This is not a statistical anomaly, the overwhelming majority 'favor' the seller. In my opinion the volume and frequency of bad eBay listings is overwhelming, at times it feels like it is the dumping ground for every piece of crap in our hobby. I think that much of it is coming from 'hobbyists-turned-sellers'.

Yes, there are some good sellers and some good listings, but it takes experience and time to find them.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05