Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Petersen Sale At Siegel Listed

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,056Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BobInRye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some real rarities in Siegel's end-of-April auction that can be reviewed at: https://siegelauctions.com/sales.php?sale_no=1234

My shopping list leads to painfully high budget requirements.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
778 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been a while since I bought from Seigels, but that will change with this auction - I hope. Some nice stuff in this sale. Notably, some nice large multiples. See you there!!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
559 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. This is an amazing collection. I can't get over the level of quality throughout. Still browsing in awe.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
778 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Complete sets of re-issues, 4c and 8c bluish papers (plus the others, of course), PBs of the Trans-Miss to the $2, all the rare coils you want to see, BLOCKS of the Pan-AM Inverts, etc, etc. If I could afford JUST ONE of the items I've listed, I'd be a happy camper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An important and very beautiful collection that any philatelist can appreciate and admire. I think the Siegel catalog is illustrative of many of the themes and discussions from other threads on this forum. As I give my observations, I preface it by saying that when I was trying to assemble a complete set of autographs of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, in addition to the obvious stoppers of Button Gwinnett and Thomas Lynch Jr, when culling through other collectors trying to do the same thing I became impressed by which signers other collectors had trouble finding and made a habit of noting not just what was there—but what was not.

Mr Peterson clearly could afford anything in the philatelic world. The collection was also willing to accept no gum, off centered copies on occasion, sometimes some faults, non certified stamps on occasion and not unexpectedly many old certificates that I note Scott Trepel had no need to update even with some being from the 1970's. I actually have no problem with that, although I know that many on this forum would. One has to go no further in the catalog than Scott 2 unused with a remote cert calling soiling and a more recent one not. Which one is right? Is it really important? Is slight soiling something important to list on a certificate of an unused Scott 2? I have "slight soiling" listed on a 1976 PFC for an unused Scott 1. Should I take my chances and send it in?

I think sometimes we, and I include the expertizing organizations in this, can be a little bit hypercritical of other people's property. The Peterson collection has fabulous rarities, incredible pictorials and yet no 112b or 114a; incredible shades of the 24 cent 1861 including gummed copies of 70c and 70d, but no 78c, even in used condition; a great copy of 272a but no copy of the rarer 271a. For a collector of apparent unlimited means I am as intrigued by why those numbers are missing as I am in awe about what the collection includes. This would be the question I would ask him if given the opportunity. Not as a criticism; merely curious. The story of how people assemble their collections, what interested them, the sometimes accidental finding of your rarest items is often more interesting than the item itself. We all have stories.

Finally, I would be interested, given the impression that some have (not me) that any certificate more than 10 years old is rubbish and should be updated and yet I note that certificates from the 60's,70's, 80''s for true rarities are listed with no more update. That is perfectly fine with me but you really can't have it both ways. Either old certs are worthless or they are not. Clearly MR Trepel felt comfortable offering extreme rarities here with old certs in a large number of cases (and here I also include certs earlier than 2005 as older) and as the auctioneer he often advises his consigners as to what should be updated and graded. His thoughts on all of this would be worth hearing.

Just one man's opinion.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6783 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How many of the Petersen collection stamps will be put on extension for new certification and thus paid for by the new owners?

I would note that the collection was started in the 1930's and the present Petersen (Gary) began to continue it in 1960. A legacy collection to be sure with the rarities acquired with the help of Charles Deaton.
Edited by rogdcam - 04/02/2021 08:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Charles Deaton

One of the very first dealers I ever did business with, and a very good guy. I'm happy to hear he had some involvement here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   11:14 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a wow collection. Premiere Gravures, A and B grills get my attention (can't buy any, but I can drool). I'm surprised about some of the stamps included in the balance lots. High value commems, early Washington-Franklins etc. I guess those are too run of the mill. I wish the 102-111 stamps were selling individually. I have two holes on that page, 106 and 110 and that 106 never seems to show up. One day.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great point rodg: hadn't considered that angle. If you purchased the Scott 59 or Scott 181, would you shell out that kind of money or just be content with the current old cert? What liability does the buyer bear if cert comes back bad or not as advertised? I wouldn't know as I have never purchased at auction subject to extension for a new cert.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If a cert comes back bad the auction house will offer a refund and will cover the cert. If it comes back good - which undoubtedly most will - the buyer covers the cost of the cert. Things so rare that there are only a handful in existence aren't necessarily that hard to identify. The A and B grills for example, if they've ever been certed they are going to stay certed. I think the rule about 5 year old certs is more relevant in some cases than in others - like if new information has come out or new technology is available for verification.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Risny: thank you for the information, however I disagree slightly with your thought that the "five year rule" has to do with advanced scholarship or verification tools for identity as opposed to concerns about condition change or faults occurring in the intervening years. Whereas I suppose new technology might be better able to determine whether a few grill points might actually exist on a previously certified no grill pictorial, I do not see how the passage of time is going to change a 272 to 272a or vice versa for example.
Edited by funcitypapa - 04/02/2021 1:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   7:10 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, condition concerns would certainly be a good reason to recert. But rarities with old certs often don't get recertified to avoid paying when there is little doubt on authenticity.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6783 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found the lot 125 description intriguing in regards to the topic of MNH expertizing opinions:

Quote:
10c Yellow Green, F. Grill (96). Block of four, original gum, top left and bottom right stamps appear Mint N.H., but given the vagaries of some expertizing opinions on classic Mint N.H. gum we cannot guarantee it, top right stamp barely hinged, bottom left h.r., rich color and strong grill impressions, bottom right stamp two diagonal creases

FINE AND EXTREMELY RARE ORIGINAL-GUM BLOCK OF THE 1868 10-CENT F GRILL, WITH POTENTIALLY MINT NEVER-HINGED STAMPS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7558 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they are, it will probably be broken up.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reflecting on FunCity Papa's comments, I too find interesting what Mr. Petersen has not collected. As already observed, money does not appear to have been an issue for him as seen in his purchases of several pairs and singles of the same issue (314A MNH pair; 314A single used as an example). I would really like to know the sequence of the purchases and/or the logic behind some of them. But I am also interested in the collection's "holes". For example, the postmaster provisionals form a great set, but why did he not collect more of them? Similarly, for the 1847s, why not all collect all of the 1 colors? I really like the collection that's been shown, but it raises so many more questions for me.
Edited by BobInRye - 04/03/2021 12:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I look at a collection like this I wonder how it is organized. Do they have a plate block album, a mint single album, a used single album? DO they put the exceeding rare stamps in the album? or a photo with a note that it is in a special place?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,056Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05