Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Who's Afraid Of The Indian States?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 757 / Views: 130,689Next Topic
Page: of 51
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance your cat perfed that SG14a while you were tending to the pigeon?

By the way, your Bhopal explanations make sense. Thanks. I don't have any Bhopal older than 1902, but I may have to remedy that.

Collin
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting suggestion that, Colin. May require a spot of forensic testing ...
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of these early Bhopal are fairly reasonably priced. They were popular in their day, and are still not too hard to find - though condition is often a problem. The perforated types particularly can be a problem: a perforation gauging around 4 was never really terribly practical.

There are a few rarities lurking around though. I didn't show SG 1 for the very good reason that it's a 700 job mint, and I don't have one. This one, SG 48, is also quite scarce

particularly on cover

Bhopal issued an 8 Anna stamp in a new design in 1890. Once again, hand-drawn onto the litho stone, so that each position is different. This is a rather under-inked example of the first of the 8 Annas, SG 68a

showing (if you have good eyesight) the spelling error 'SAH' for 'SHAH' in the English inscription. Not a particularly rare error: three of the ten stamps in the sheet had it.

The new Nawab ascended the throne in 1901 (only a few months after the death of Shah Jahan Begum's old crony, Queen Victoria). The beginning of her reign was marked by the issue of a new set of stamps, bearing her name, in 1902. At first, they were impressed with her mother's octagonal seal, but in 1903 they were reissued with the daughter's circular seal. The first set is rather less common than the second.

Here is a sheet of the Anna, with the new embossing, and on laid paper, SG 91a

Interestingly enough, there were no English spelling errors on any of these stamps

In 1908, the British Indian authorities persuaded Bhopal to close its State post office to the public, but allowed it to continue using its own stamps for government mail within the State. Just before this happened, Bhopal commissioned Perkins, Bacon in London to prepare a 'proper' stamp:

SG 100

And perhaps it's just as well that was the last of that. A pretty poor, pale thing compared with the glories that preceded it, IMHO

If any of you are sitting on any of these early Bhopal, and had shoved them off into the too hard basket, I'll be happy to try to identify them for you. Just post 'em up.
Edited by tonymacg - 04/01/2010 9:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd see how Gibbons would describe the perfing on the SG14a. All they say is "Perf." Not that I blame them.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if those perforations win the prize for the lowest ever gauge, but they must be a strong contender!
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
I just love these.
They make me feel young.

Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More uglies?
Faridkot: a real 1879 in blue (wove paper) and a later forgery in green.
That's my entire collection of this State.

Edited by Tony Vella - 04/01/2010 10:35 pm
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Somewhere around here I have some Bijawar of Maharaja Sir Sawant Singh. I love the guy - spitting image of my aunt Lupe in Chihuahua.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance Tony Vella's middle Bhopal is SG27? I don't see anything with "BECAN" but I do see BEGAN in a couple of the listings.

Maybe I should check Scott.

Collin

[Please be patient with me...I'm practicing...]
Edited by Cjd - 04/01/2010 10:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tony, your first two Bhopal are SG 27 (imperf) and SG 28 (perf) - provided they have the octagonal embossing. All the stamps in the sheet of 32 of this issue were incorrectly lettered 'BEGAN' instead of 'BEGAM'. (The 'G' is just sloppily drawn - not considered to be a true 'C'. There is an error 'EEGAN' recognized for these stamps, though.)
Edited by tonymacg - 04/01/2010 11:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And your Faridkot, aren't so simple either, Tony. I'll have to do a bit of digging, because it isn't a subject I know well enough. However, there are reprints, imitations and forgeries of the reprints/imitations of these. Not sure whether the second is an imitation or a forgery of an imitation ...
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Somewhere around here I have some Bijawar of Maharaja Sir Sawant Singh. I love the guy - spitting image of my aunt Lupe in Chihuahua.

Bijawar is just about the only State I do draw the line at. Not very interesting stamps, and about 99.9% philatelic.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 04/02/2010   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SG 27 (imperf) and SG 28 (perf)

Is it just the opposite? (i.e. SG27-perf and SG28-imperf)

For those scoring at home, it is Scott 33 imperf and Scott 35 perf.

Collin
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/02/2010   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite right, Colin. Growing dyslexic along with all the other complaints of advanced old age
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 04/02/2010   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
finally some more coat of arms we are making progress.
Page: of 51 Previous TopicReplies: 757 / Views: 130,689Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05