Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Who's Afraid Of The Indian States?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 785 / Views: 134,973Next Topic
Page: of 53
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/30/2013   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've bid a truly frightening amount. I only hope others will come in over the top of me on at least some - otherwise, I'll be on short rations for the next 20 years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
India
13 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kolarshenoy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tony Hope you are free of phila exhibition fever. Please inform the latest SG bidding success and scan of such winnings if received. kolarshenoy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, Australia 2013 left me with a small memento: I caught a bad cold, almost certainly at the Exhibition.

I did have some success at the Harell auction. Some of the items:

Bhopal SG O320ba - How many copies of the pair like this can have been used? It doesn't seem sensible to me that Gibbons prices the pair used at less than half the mint pair.

Jammu & Kashmir:

SG 32 - blocks of genuine original Jammu & Kashmir Circulars are scarce; more often than not, multiples turn out to be reprints

SG 99a - the tête-bêche pair of the 4 Annas emerald-green; there are said to be nine in existence

and SG 100a - the 4 Annas myrtle-green; a rare shade
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Mole to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tony,

Gorgeous stuff, all nice acquisitions! Your scans are even nicer than the auction catalogue images. The color variation between the emerald green and the myrtle-green is striking, and especially given their rarity, you should be pleased.

And I really love the block of SG32 slate-blue circulars!

Thanks for sharing--and if you have more, keep 'em coming!

--Kevin
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those were the pick of the items I won, but I did win one absolute bargain:

This is SG 22b: the 1912-22 ¼ Anna 'pale olive-yellow', imperf vertically, for £150. This lemon shade isn't recognised by Gibbons, but it's much scarcer than the ordinary (and listed) pale olive-yellow.

The perforation errors on the 1912-22 printings are greatly undervalued in Gibbons, in my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Mole to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tony,

A great strip of chariots! Again, your scan highlights the color better than in the Harell auction catalogue.

Do you have a version of Jaipur SG22b to show the difference in the shades of yellow, the accepted "pale olive-yellow" and your lemon-yellow? And do you think you have a sufficient case to present to the esteemed Dr. Philip Kinns at Stanley Gibbons?

Thanks for sharing!

--Kevin
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How wrong is it that I think the 4A myrtle-green is quite sharp?

Pretty wrong, I'm thinking.

Congratulations on the pickups. Although I only aspire to find representative samplings of the basic pieces, I'm always interested in which pieces draw your interest, and why.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Mole, this cover has some examples of the pale olive-yellow:

As you can see, quite a different shade altogether.

I really don't know why the lemon shade has never been recognised in Gibbons. It was listed in the Harry Burgess INS Catalogue, published some time in the 1950s or early 1960s. He called it lemon-yellow, and priced it at about 3x the value of the olive shade, mint or used. Dr Kinns has certainly seen the shade: after all, he supervised the lotting of the Harell sale!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjd, early Jammu & Kashmir isn't for the faint-hearted! It's both fiendishly difficult, and expensive with it.

So here are the three established shades of the Kashmir 4 Anna:

The emerald-green, SG 99 (and the normal shade)

The sage-green, SG 100

and the myrtle-green, SG 100a

which is already a rarity in its own right (around a dozen in captivity), but it also exists in a jade-green shade, which is even rarer ...

The emerald-green is also found in the contemporary Circulars:

The emerald-green ink was apparently arsenic-based, so I wouldn't chew on one, if I were you. I don't know what went into the sage and myrtle shades. Whatever it was, arsenic must have been cheaper.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 05/16/2013   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sage advice on the emerald shade...

Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 06/15/2013   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zedwardson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread! Thanks for all the info, though I suspect I never handled a "ugly"....which have a lot more charm then most modern USPS "Forever" stamps....
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 06/15/2013   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zedwardson, the Uglies do have their own special charm - and as you say, they leave modern stamps for dead.

They do take a bit of hunting down, but they're a great deal of fun. These days, with eBay and the like, building a representative collection isn't very hard, and needn't break the bank.

Those Jaipur ¼ Anna stamps we were discussing earlier sell for a few cents each used. However, if you dig a bit deeper, there are several shades to be found and different and distinct papers used (and the challenge of finding specimens showing part of the watermark).

There's also the possibility of making a nice find, at the expense of lazy or ignorant sellers. For instance, Gibbons prices these ¼ Anna stamps of Orchha

at £3.20 for the complete sheet on wove paper. If it was on laid paper (it isn't , and I don't know if a complete sheet even exists), it would be a £6,400 proposition. But even if you can't turn up a laid paper specimen, you can have fun plating single copies.

And then again, the Uglies are true 'forever' stamps. Since 1953, when the Bahawalpur State Post Office was shut down, there haven't been any more issued
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 06/15/2013   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zedwardson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It awesome stuff, though since I am just starting back in, I am just in the process of sorting about 1500-2500 stamps into countries and then deciding what to collect. though a few examples that do not cost much might need to come into my possession as examples and talking pieces.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 06/15/2013   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Indian States provide lots of examples of good talking pieces, though they aren't always cheap.

Still, keep an eye out for the later issues of Kishangarh, like these

say, that were printed in the Diamond Soap Works at Kishangarh. Blocks with the imprint

are a bit more expensive, though. You should be able to find examples of the wonderful handstamped stamps of Poonch,

at around a dollar or so, too. And then, many of the spectacular errors of Travancore-Cochin, like this inverted surcharge

(Gibbons SG 3ec, cat. £5) or these imperf between pairs

(SG O11bb, £11 each)) can be found at decent discounts to catalogue.
Edited by tonymacg - 06/15/2013 11:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just received this cover of the 1 Anna postal-fiscal of Shahpura, SG F1

There's long been debate about which type of SG F1 was used for postage, so here is the detail of one of the stamps:

The cover came with a BPA Certificate, so there's no doubt it's authentic.
Page: of 53 Previous TopicReplies: 785 / Views: 134,973Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 6.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05