Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Who's Afraid Of The Indian States?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 785 / Views: 136,457Next Topic
Page: of 53
Valued Member
Learn More...
254 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
curious to know if anyone has any info on paper used for this Type A9, Scott 30, Soruth? The bottom one here seems to be on a darker, heavier paper and hence seems to be a little different in coloring. The top one matches the hand full of others I have, hence the lower one here seems to be an outlier.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2789 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is SG 49.Comb perf. 14.There is a toned paper type also.
About the thickness of the pa^per I don't know.
Valued Member
Learn More...
254 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, just noticed you mention SG.... Where do you see the toned paper type? So it looks to me that the darker one is referenced in SG and the lighter one in Scott. Tks and apologies.
Edited by Stamps4Life - 04/07/2020 1:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2789 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG does not indicate paper types for this stamp.
Various printing shades known.
e bay example below:

Pillar Of The Community
2196 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've found these. Any idea? Any value? They're ouside "my comfort zone"!

Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The three stamps are from Nepal. First two are 1 anna stamps of the third period and the green stamp is a four annas, again from the third period. Nominal value. The first and third stamps have postal cancels the middle stamp is less clearly so.

You might find this catalog of Nepal of interest:
https://www.rfrajola.com/NepalCat/NepalCat.htm
Pillar Of The Community
2196 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the information and the very interesting link.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2789 Posts
Posted 08/18/2020   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dhami state court fee stamps.(1939-1948)
Belonged to the Punjab Hills States.It was a very small state of 28sq. miles.

Edited by perf12 - 08/18/2020 1:51 pm
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/09/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey,

New collector to this area. This is a great thread! Looking for opinions whether the stamp below is an original (Bamra 1/4a Black on Yellow) or a reprint. Thanks for any info on how to tell reprints, copies, and imitations.

Edited by banknoteguy - 09/09/2020 1:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2789 Posts
Posted 09/09/2020   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a reprint.
The genuine letter is different.(underlined red).

Edited by perf12 - 09/09/2020 3:06 pm
Valued Member
India
383 Posts
Posted 09/09/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is Bamanda (that is the correct name of the state) 1891 ĽA 2nd reprint of 1888 1st issue on thin yellow paper from position R2/1(5) in the sheet of 20.

This is how the original Bamanda 1888 ĽA SG 1 stamp looks like.

Bamanda SG 1 is a very rare stamp and any ĽA 1st issue should at first automatically be considered reprint.
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/09/2020   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, thanks for that.

Is that letter considered the 4th letter? In this case it is 4th from either side but what I am asking is I see SG sometimes says nth letter. but not which end you count from.

Also the first letter on the right looks different as does the 2nd from the left end. Are those also valid ways to distinguish a reprint? Likewise is the difference in vertical position of the last two letters on the right also indicative of a reprint?

I assume these letters spell out something including a value. It looks to me like the value is entirely contained in the letter at the right end. Is this an accurate assessment?
Valued Member
India
383 Posts
Posted 09/10/2020   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG's so-called 4th character (counted from the left) is the Oriya letter La (enclosed in green in the image) of Masul which literally means tariff/fee.

The rightmost character in the 3rd line simply denotes the value, indicated by the Oriya merchant's notation.

Other minor differences like that of the vowel diacritic after Oriya letter Ma and vertical positions of the last two letters on the right, can only help in plating but those are not indicative of reprints.
Valued Member
India
383 Posts
Posted 09/10/2020   04:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG has this irritating snooty habit of describing letters in Indian scripts as nth character, detached loops, joined loops, accents, curved lines, lines over, dots under etc. etc. all those BS.

The best way to describe is to type the letters. Anyone nonconversant with Indian scripts then can easily compare the differences.
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/10/2020   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joy,

Thanks very much. As someone who is totally ignorant of Indian scripts, that was interesting and enlightening. About how many fundamentally different Indian scripts were used in the stamp issuing Indian Princely states? This one appears to be known as Oriya. I figure if I am going to collect these I should learn as much as I can.

Best,
Jack
Page: of 53 Previous TopicReplies: 785 / Views: 136,457Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 6.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05