Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Who's Afraid Of The Indian States?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 785 / Views: 136,575Next Topic
Page: of 53
Valued Member
India
387 Posts
Posted 09/10/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

About how many fundamentally different Indian scripts were used in the stamp issuing Indian Princely states?

There are total 9 scripts found on Indian Feudatory State postage stamps including Kalinga/Oriya script on Bamanda stamps.

1. Devnagari
(Languages: Ahirwati, Dhundhari, Harauti, Hindi, Malwi, Marathi, Mewati, Sanskritam)
States: Alwar, Barwani, Bashshar, Bhor, Bijawar, Bundi, Charkhari, Datiya, Dhar, Dungarpur, Haydarabad, Idar, Indaur, Jaypur, Jhalawar, Kishangarh, Nandgão, Nawanagar, Orchha, Punchh, Rajpipla, Saurashtra, Shahpura, Sirmaur & Vadhvan

2. Farsi
(Language: Farsi)
States: Faridkot, Haydarabad, Jammu and Kashmir, Jhalawar & Punchh

3. Gujarati
(Language: Gujarati)
States: Idar, Jasdan, Morbi, Nawanagar & Saurashtra

4. Gurmukhi
(Language: Pañjabi)
State: Faridkot

5. Kairali
(Language: Malayalam)
States: Kochchi & Tiruvitamkur

6. Takri
(Languages: Dogri/Kãshur)
State: Jammu and Kashmir

7. Telugu
(Language: Telugu)
State: Haydarabad

8. Urdu
(Language: Urdu)
States: Bashahar, Bhopal, Bijawar, Charkhari, Haydarabad, Jaypur, Jind & Lasbela

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/10/2020   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joy,

Thank you again. Very interesting. Also some nice stamps! That looks like a nice Alwar SG.4

Are all these scripts still in active use?

Jack
Valued Member
India
387 Posts
Posted 09/10/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, all those scripts are vibrantly used in India in the respective areas.

India has total 1721 living languages including 22 official languages and 66 different scripts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India

There are also 118239 registered newspapers published in India.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
574 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Help with Bundi dagger?

Can't find anything in Stanley Gibbons (or Scott) that quite looks like this. I believe that the dagger points left here, with value below and state name above. Is this a revenue stamp? Is it a genuine stamp at all? If so, how identified?

Valued Member
India
387 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is a crude fake of Bundi ½A dagger issue.
Paper, design, color, printing quality, all are wrong.

The commonest Bundi dagger stamp forgeries are of the most expensive Bundi postage stamp i.e. Bundi 1894 ½A SG 1.

Bundi 1894 ½A Raj Bundi dagger slate gray lithograph (SG 1) (ex-Harrell)

Trivia: The dagger depicted in Alwar and Bundi stamps, is called katar.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
53 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikyh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The defaced handstamps that were used to produce the Poonch stamps from 1883 were donated to the Royal Philatelic Sociey London and are in their museum. This is a description of the 1 Anna die from a search of their online catalogue:

"Die - Handstruck - 1880-1888 Handstruck stamp dies 1 anna (without handle), defaced - copper. Poonch, Indian States. Stone: 'One Anna Die Engraved on brass with a bronze peg for handle. 1884 Issue, defaced.' Perkins Bacon."

It mentions Perkins Bacon, presumably as being the originator of the five dies. I haven't seen this mentioned in any article I've read about these stamps.

Can anyone please confirm if these 5 dies were produced by Perkins, Bacon & Co. Ltd?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
574 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Joy. Your help, along with that of others on this thread, has given me the courage to go deeper into Indian native states where, of course, knowing the stamp is a forgery is always better than believing that it's genuine.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mikyh said

Quote:

The defaced handstamps that were used to produce the Poonch stamps from 1883 were donated to the Royal Philatelic Sociey London and are in their museum. This is a description of the 1 Anna die from a search of their online catalogue:

"Die - Handstruck - 1880-1888 Handstruck stamp dies 1 anna (without handle), defaced - copper. Poonch, Indian States. Stone: 'One Anna Die Engraved on brass with a bronze peg for handle. 1884 Issue, defaced.' Perkins Bacon."

It mentions Perkins Bacon, presumably as being the originator of the five dies. I haven't seen this mentioned in any article I've read about these stamps.

Can anyone please confirm if these 5 dies were produced by Perkins, Bacon & Co. Ltd?

I don't know what relevance Perkins Bacon have to the stamps of Poonch.

The dies were cut by the esteemed engraver and die-cutter Rahat Ju of Srinagar, who also produced the dies for most of the issues of Jammu & Kashmir.
Edited by peterh - 09/24/2020 1:34 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
53 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikyh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for that information Peter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
574 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Faridkot: genuine, bogus, revenue?

1. Any chance this 1 folus is handstamped and a genuine SG N1 (SC 1)?

2. From the following two links, I take it that the red stamp on the left is bogus (i.e., an official reproduction?)
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtop...619#p4289619
http://goscf.com/t/71393

3. But the green stamp on the right: from Joy's remarks on this third link I get the impression that it could be a genuine revenue stamp. Yes?

http://goscf.com/t/53849

Edited by EMaxim - 09/26/2020 10:42 pm
Valued Member
India
387 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   05:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 is genuine Faridkot 1879 1 Folus ultramarine imperf. postage stamp, handstamped singly, but without the scan of the back to identify the paper type, it cannot be outrightly assigned to SG 1.

Genuine Faridkot 1st issue has uneven horizontal border framelines (posthumous reprints have clearly defined straight outer framelines).

3 is indeed Faridkot 1882 1P myrtle green Köppel and Manners type 10 revenue stamp (K&M 107) but with a favor cancel.

Unfortunately, Köppel and Manners don't segregate the array of shades of green and club all under K&M 107 with color description "green (shades)".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
574 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Joy. We rely on your expertise (I do, at least). Here's a scan of the back of my 1 Folus ultra.
Valued Member
India
387 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, it is Faridkot 1879 1 Folus SG N5/Sc 1 on wove paper.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
574 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful! Thanks again.

Eric
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has there been any effort to track postmarks on Empire stamps in Indian states that did not issue stamps of their own? Sikkim is easy, but there are several hundred that are unaccounted for.
Page: of 53 Previous TopicReplies: 785 / Views: 136,575Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 11.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05