Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Who's Afraid Of The Indian States?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 906 / Views: 142,572Next Topic
Page: of 61
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI. Best I could do here - not pretty....

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
160 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a couple of comments:

Stamps4Life:

None of yours are watermark C. They are all overprint O1.

The first stamp is SG O20, with watermark A sideways. The other stamps are SG O5, with watermark B well-centred.

The 1 chuckram with watermark C does not exist with overprint O1.

None of yours have any letters inverted.

Rod's second stamp has an inverted left 'S'.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31339 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only reason I thought there might be a different overprint is that on the bottom right one, the S seems different

That is why it is important to know how they were printed.
They are typeset letterpress (pesumably) perhaps in a forme, where different shape letters could be found depending on the typesetter.
and the production of the letter die.
Sometimes the extreme varieties look like they could have been rubber, they are so badly deformed.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just a couple of comments:

Stamps4Life:

None of yours are watermark C. They are all overprint O1.

The first stamp is SG O20, with watermark A sideways. The other stamps are SG O5, with watermark B well-centred.

The 1 chuckram with watermark C does not exist with overprint O1.

Hi Peter - tks for the comments. I have to say, im a little disappointed. But if you can help further id appreciate it. So I think I might see the sideways watermark in the top stamp - its hard though - maybe towards the bottom?

I can see getting B and C wmk wrong. But - the middle and bottom 2 - that gets me. So I dont know a better way to do this - I clearly see the middle stamp wmk, and facing properly. The bottom 2 is where I get lost and dont know a better way to show it. I've drawn a line going the way I think the way the shell is curved. There seems to be a difference between the middle one and the bottom 2 which I think are going to the left. No? Tks again
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
can anyone help w/ the scott no here? I believe the L one to be Travancore O34, Scott type A5 7ch, maroon. The only other officials listing is O11 in plum and the right one does not look to be plum to me. There is red - carmine listed as an error for Scott 15a, but not as an Official.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
160 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From your reverse images, in the first stamp, I believe there are portions of the watermark visible at top left, bottom left and top right.

Watermark A only appeared upright on some of the postage issues of 1889-1904. Some of these are also sideways.

In later postage issues from 1914-22 it appeared sideways only.

Travancore officials were first issued in 1911, and there are no officials with Watermark A upright.

Watermark A had a number of shells which did not match the number of stamps in the sheet, so is almost never well-centered on the stamps.

The lower two have Watermark B inverted. Little attention was paid to the paper orientation, so these exist upright, inverted, reversed, and reversed and inverted. However, watermark B remains more or less well-centered on each stamp.
Edited by peterh - 01/17/2021 6:00 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
160 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your 7 chuckram stamps:

I can't do Scott sorry, but the first one is SG O64, with SG overprint type O7.

The second stamp is SG O26 with SG overprint type O1. Both these stamps will be SG watermark C.

Shades are variable in these issues.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The lower two have Watermark B inverted.

Ok. Tks again. When above you mentioned well centered, I assumed you also meant not inverted and thought oh boy I'm really in trouble. My bad.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shades are variable in these issues.

So on the 7ch, you would call these the same color, different shade? Tks.
Edited by Stamps4Life - 01/17/2021 7:21 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
138 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
S4L, SG#026=Sc.#011.
SG#064=Sc.#034.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tks Tong. I thought so but has no other plums to compare it to. Looked more like a red to me. Tks
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SG#026=Sc.#011.
SG#064=Sc.#034.

So I found another lurking in the pile.... Would you call this Sc O11 or Sc O34? By color and OP, it looks to me to be O11

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
138 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi S4L, that would be Sc.#011, because of the overprint layout. As far as color goes, shades of these exist, use your best judgement for identification.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
so I was going through some stamps that im going to donate to ata, and came across the following and have 2 questions.....

is this just a result of the bottom sheet not being dry and the image was transferred to the back of this stamp?

On this O36 Cochin Anchal, any of the S's inverted on the overprint or surcharge? Tks! Wm

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2988 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see an inverted S. The botton portion is a bit larger.
As for the S in Six that also is normal.
Page: of 61 Previous TopicReplies: 906 / Views: 142,572Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05