Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USA Tagging Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 342Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7565 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I being a collector of Canadian stamps and dealing with tagging varieties came across these 2 USA stamps in a bag of 1000 stamps.

I know nothing about American tagging...I have hundreds of old and semi old USA stamps that I do not have time to get to..What a shame...Eh..??

Anyways, I noticed these 2 stamps..Scott 1946 and Scott 1509.
The Scott 1509 has what looks like a cross on it..Normal..??

The Scott 1946 has a rectangular tag in the middle of the stamp..Normal..??

Robert

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9381 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   10:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7443 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert. The US flag stamp with the cross is a mis-tagged stamp. In order to keep the perforator pins from wearing out prematurely the tagging should be interrupted where the perforation is. It missed.
I can not tell nothing about the "C" stamp, never seen that one

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7565 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don for the ink and Peter for the reply. Here is the 2 stamps from Don's site...The Scott 1509 is really shifted...Any more value..haha

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I recall, 1946 is "block tagged". Block in this case seems a bit small, but a quick look at examples in the Stamp Smarter tagging data base seems to agree with your stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
3592 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just like the U.S. grilled issues in the late 1860s and early 1870s, when the grill is applied off-center in two directions, One can get a "quadruple-split grill". You have found the same thing done with the block of tagging. A shift in two directions, then perforated normally compared to the visible ink, creating "quadruple-split tagging", if such is a term!

A quick look through a pile of them here found:
Scott one example each of 1509 (sheet), and 1519 (coil) with a similar double shift, taken in visible and short-wave UV:

Normal? No.

Valuable? In my opinion, only a little better. Even though they are not common, very few collectors have UV lights, and still fewer collectors use them on piles of modern definitives. Thus the supply is vastly under-detected, just like mine were until this morning. The fact that the tagging is not readily visible also dampens the demand. They are not "eye candy" to the average collector in the same way that a similar visible ink misregistrations would have.

I also found several "split tagging" examples on 1509 and 1519 caused by a shift in only one direction.

As a tangent, Scott 1509 can be found with considerable misregistration of the visible inks. These two are very minor:
Pillar Of The Community
7565 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John for your expertise..And reply
I will keep it.{them}

Robert
Edited by wert - 04/02/2021 2:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 04/02/2021   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 1946 tagging is slightly shifted down. Vertical shifts much more shifted then this can be found. I did not have any double shifts of the ten cent flag at time I created the entry's in the tagging DB. Their are several stamps that have dramatic shifts like the ten cent flag. There are many tagging freaks out there to be could.
Pillar Of The Community
3592 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two more 1509's with tagging shifts:

(Blurriness due to a hand-held photo rather than a tripod.)
Pillar Of The Community
7565 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more silly question about tagging.
Here are 3 stamps from a cover...Looks like the tagging was rolled on the cove after..???

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
3592 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tagging does not glow through scotch tape.
Pillar Of The Community
7565 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes...John
Did not even see that...I feel stupid.

Robert

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05