Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USA Sd1 Special Delivery

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 766Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think its a 1894 E4 SD1- 10 cent, perf 12
Curious about the perfs on the right side and the Red X

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by Just_fella - 04/03/2021 6:29 pm

Valued Member
Canada
264 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would compare this to a SD1 before you go any further...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Casey
SD1
Edited by Just_fella - 04/03/2021 6:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Text of "... at a special..." (SD1 and only E-1) verses "...at any special..." for all other runners.

Right side perfs just not well punched leaving chad still attached.

Red ink manuscript "x" could be a cancellation or an indication by the SD messenger that special delivery service has been attempted thus the fee claimed in spite of success of the attempt. The fee purchased one attempt.

[Hey, I only type so fast and hit post when the phone rang , then came back to finish .]
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/03/2021 8:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the red X and why are the perfs like that?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Red X..Unknown

Perforations : "Blind Perfs"
Caused by either blunt perforation pins, or, multiple sheets placed in the perforator, indicating "too many" for the machine.

Interest point.
One of the first perforation jobs in New Zealand, staff were getting paid "per piece"

Others could not work out why they were making so much money,
It was because they were doing exactly that, putting multiple sheets through at each press.

PS: The punctured confetti, still hanging on, are called "chads"
Edited by rod222 - 04/03/2021 9:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got ya
that's where the bonnets the employees used to ware to came in handy
Silly question could it have been perforated twice?
I know it's perf 12

But in person upclose there doesn't look like it's a torn off

And it's kind of odd that all the other perfs are blunt
So when I originally tried to check the perfs I was doing here

Edited by Just_fella - 04/04/2021 01:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6601 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe the "x" is red but rather it is old fountain pen ink that has changed over time.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's definitely Possible

wouldn't a pen leave some sort of tell tale
Like an impression?

Here's the best image I could get to show the perforations on the outside (not on the chads)
Edited by Just_fella - 04/04/2021 09:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfs don't really matter in this case, because it can only be an E1, and they only came with one perforation type. It wasn't until almost 30 years later that they changed to a different gauge. You have plenty of other condition issues without thinking of detracting due to the blind perfs. There are the short perfs at top, the rounded corners and the tear at bottom that affect value much more than the hanging chads. It looks like it has a pretty heavy hinge on the back, so I'd certainly soak it clean before checking for thins...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks billsey
But not really interested in the value of it
More interested in if I'm using the gauge right :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 04/05/2021   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When using the perf gauge that you have, assume the black dots on the gauge are where the perforation pins would be and place the black dots where the holes are.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   04:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wkusau,
I thought that's how it worked :)
What set of holes should I be reading? (Blue or red)

Edited by Just_fella - 04/06/2021 05:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6601 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In this particular case you would align with your red line or "the bottom of your hole", not the "tip".

While this is not rocket science, I was amazed that after searching for tutorials on using a perf gauge I found no standardized explanation amongst commercial sites. To be fair there are different gauges and different markings. To the novice though it can become confusing.

I thought that of all people the APS would have a tutorial video but when I looked the link was missing or never there in the first place.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both lines are bottoms not tips?
Yellow would be the tips?

Edited by Just_fella - 04/06/2021 07:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
918 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The red line is closer to the tips. The yellow line is at the bottom of the hole of the adjoining stamp.
Edited by NSK - 04/06/2021 07:30 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 766Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05