Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello From Canada! :)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 313Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mic-8538 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! glad to be part of this forum I have been on it for quite a while but never made an account! I finally registered after wanting to ask a few questions so here goes!

-what are your preferred mounts?
-do you make your own pages or do you buy/go for a free site that provides?
-best site for finding every stamp in chronological order and not scott#?
-do you use regular printing paper for your mounts and do you keep these pages inside punched pockets?

thanks! and looking forward to posting more on this great forum!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oh and also! what is a good mount cutter? I saw the lechtturm and UA one (I think those were the brands)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by mic-8538 - 04/04/2021 11:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7515 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.
What is a stamp cutter and what are you using it for?

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oops I meant mount cutter!
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mic-8538...

Mounts. Use a combination of Snowgard and Hawid.

Catalogue. Depends on your area of interest or focus. We use a combination of Scott, Stanley Gibbons, and country speciality catalogues.

Page making. Have a combination of Scott specialty albums as well as Steiner page-making software. Like Steiner given its broad coverage as well as the fact that we can use it to make custom pages.

Paper. Acid-free. Off-white/cream-colored. Believe it is at least 32 lb.
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for your answer so for the catalogue I just meant like is there any site or catalogue that shows stamps in chronological order?and for the ''steiner pages'' is it on a site? where can I find them and are they organised aswell in chronological order?also do you just put the paper in the binder like that or do you put it in a punched pocket to prevent the binder rings from damaging the holes on the paper?
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For pages Google stamp albums dot com.
Learn More...
9475 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Don
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mic-8538,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/05/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mic - everyone has their own preferences. I do not like Showguard or crystal-type mounts, but prefer hinges. I used albums to display my collection but prepare my own pages when necessary. Many others do all of the different things you suggest, it is a matter of personal preference, I believe.
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 04/05/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! I did the same thing you did - lurked here for years but never got around to making an account until recently. Glad I did!

Let me add my two cents here. Stamp mounts: I use Prinz/ScottMounts. Over the years, I've found them to be more consistent than Showgard with the adhesive and I think the seals at the top/bottom are just stronger. I've purchased packs of Showgard mounts that would just pop right back out of the album a week later, although I haven't bought any since the 1980s so maybe they've improved that.

Mount cutter: I actually use the Showgard guillotine cutter. To be honest, I have three cutters: both sizes of the Showgard cutters (they have a small one and a larger one), and for the very large items that require mounts too large for the larger Showgard cutter I actually have a gigantic guillotine paper cutter made in the 1950s that cuts everything. (I have sharpened the blade with my Dremel). I am extremely picky when it comes to mounts, they have to be *perfect*.

My stamp pages: I have a collection of specialty albums by Scott, Minkus, Lighthouse, Lindner, Davo, etc., so I don't print my own pages. However, I have bought/acquired a number of collections where collectors used the Steiner pages (stampalbums.net, I think). Those are good pages, but if you do print them yourself I STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT use an inkjet printer. Even the smallest amount of moisture will smear the ink across the page and it is permanent. If this sort of thing doesn't bother you, then go for it. You can also put them in plastic sheet protectors but keep in mind that when you are mounting your stamps on the pages, you should keep your fingers as dry as possible. I bought a nice HP color laser printer at Wal Mart for US$299 and it came with toner cartridges that have lasted for a couple hundred color pages, and are still not close to empty.

As far as paper is concerned, choose the tint and weight you want but be sure it is acid-free. Someone made a great suggestion above.

Catalogue: by your comment, I assume you don't like the way that Scott breaks up the issues by type (i.e., postage, air mail, etc)? If you are only collecting older stamps, see if you can find a Minkus catalogue - they list the stamps chronologically and do not separate the types of issues. Stanley Gibbons does this to an extent, but still separates Postage Due, Official, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Barry
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wow thank you for all the replies!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05