Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia Ohms Envelope Question

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 768Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up this item because it had Scott O3/O8, ACSC 102(OS) in a non-philatelic usage. Addressed from Adelaide to the Secretary at Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewage Board, Brisbane. It is dated 24 Sep, 1932.

My question concerns the underlying envelope style. The closeup below shows that the O.H.M.S is centered above a horizontal line, and there is a nice cancellation right on top of it. However, there are some letters that seem out of place. Just below the 24 Sep, I see, "10M - 6.32". I think this is part of the Envelope, not the cancellation. Any idea what it means? Thanks for looking.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3155 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think certain government departments had their own pre printed code identification next to ohms,
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not seen anything like it before.
Guess
Some form of Internal auditing or despatch confirmation
(Sort of a automatic time register machine, as you would when clocking on for work)

Interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing...

Bureaucrats can't help but code their forms. I bet 6.32 is a June, 1932, revision date and 10M is either the envelope itself or a number assigned to a particular department.

But only guesses. It appears that I don't have anything that lists these. Perhaps because of the absence of preprinted indicia?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
10M 10 O'clock AM perhaps ?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like CJD's guess about revision date and size of envelope. Bureaucracy at it's best. It certainly looks like this additional lettering was printed on the envelope before it was addressed, stamped, mailed, and cancelled. Probably a big stack of them somewhere.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bzzz "Marge, bring me a 10M slash C"
"Sir, we're all out of the slash C"
"Oh, all right then, bring me a 10M. And requisition some more slash Cs."
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
457 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "10 M -- 6.32" could well indicate a printing of 10,000 envelopes in June 1932.

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 04/04/2021 4:15 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
bzzz "Marge, bring me a 10M slash C"
"Sir, we're all out of the slash C"
"Oh, all right then, bring me a 10M. And requisition some more slash Cs."

Maybe it was
"Bring me a 6.32, Marge"

"10M" would have been already known M = Metropolitan Water Board.

Here we have a "Gladys, please restock the T.E 201's"
(Technical Education School)

10M 6.32 and T.E. 201 are Permit Numbers for OHMS Australian Stationery

Thanks for the corrections

Pillar Of The Community
3744 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I fully agree with Mike:
"10,000 envelopes in June 1932."
This is a very common type of code seen on a variety of printed materials.

Add: Here is an example from the Boy Scouts:

to print 1,500,000 copies in November 1969.
Edited by John Becker - 04/04/2021 4:35 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm OK
have dropped off an email to the Aust. Postal Stationery Soc, for comments.
I am curious as to how they audited these.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had an immediate response, which was great but no luck.

Quote:
Not my collecting area I am sorry but yes it does seem to be some sort of batch number which might have Ben a code of some sort

It seems incongruent to me, that a batch number would be printed on official stationery, without some other reason.
Edited by rod222 - 04/04/2021 9:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1793 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If not a batch number, perhaps a stock code?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby,
I am happy to take Mike and John's solution, makes sense,
however, I have similar markings on Australia Post early (Post Office ) stationery, Parcel post stickers etc.

Seeing it on Official envelopes seemed odd,
I thought I had numerous OHMS covers, but it seems not.
I was hoping to find another example.

Surprised the Oz stationery Soc, had no def reply.

Batch Number, Stock Code, Internal Audit ref, all have possibilities.
Edited by rod222 - 04/04/2021 9:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3744 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an example from Canada mailed in 1931:

Scans of envelope, letterhead, and close-up of the print code areas for the number of copies and when printed:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John,
I'll be keeping an eye out for future examples.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 768Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05