Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Expertizing Mark On Syria Classic (106c)?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 317Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gvol21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As a Big Blue collector, and after many years of searching, I was pleased to pick up an ever-elusive Syria 106c, the (in)famous error overprint, on Delcampe. Looking at the reverse, I noticed an interesting marking in the lower right corner. Any ideas as to what it might be? I was thinking perhaps an expertizing mark, but no idea.

Scanning this list of expert marks shows a "VR" (Victor Robert) as a possible answer, but this looks more like a "VK" to me, although perhaps the top of the R never transferred? https://www.filatelia.fi/experts/areass.html

Appreciate any thoughts/insights!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5171 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want sound advice ----Package up that stamp and ship it to Floortrader-Florida with your copy of the invoice and you would get a no questions asked refund .Trying to help you out .

It could be a ownership mark . Nice find ,a stamp I been looking for .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7323 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could be an expertizing mark, but could also just be an owner's mark. In Europe back in the last century it was customary to mark stamps, especially if trying to sell them in circuit books

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3051 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unusual that the ovpt. reads so well from the back.
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting - I wasn't familiar with the concept of an owner's mark before. Thanks.

perf12 - are the overprints usually less legible from the back?
Pillar Of The Community
3467 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us the front as well. Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure thing:
Valued Member
374 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1840to1940 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread made my day. By way of a little background, this stamp is the most difficult space to fill in the Scott International Volume 1 ("Big Blue"). As an error, it has no business being in the album. It was also in the Brown International where it didn't belong, either. Fortunately, for collectors' sanity, the variety disappeared when Scott created the Specialty album pages for Syria.

And, if anyone ever finds a used copy, I hope you will post that find.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3051 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a postage due (Chiffre Tax) stamp SC J31 2.50 instead of 3pi on 50c.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5933 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Definitely feels good to have one of the harder spaces filled.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5465 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maury - from a few years ago - prices this at 80 mint. What are Americans actually paying for it?
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3051 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is one mint on delcampe Italy for 40 euros.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5465 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I enjoy French colonial stamps, and I'd certainly keep this if I picked one up, but I shouldn't go out of my way to get one.
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa, interesting - both Scott and Y&T value it $200+ both mint and used. Probably of middling interest to many, but as 1840to1940 pointed out, for the folks out there trying to complete the Scott International 1840-1940 album (see http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com), it's probably the hardest stamp of the 30,000+ to acquire as the album editors (mistakenly?) gave a space for it in the album despite it being a rather obscure error that comes on the market infrequently.

It's not the most expensive in terms of CV - I think that honor goes to US Scott #2, which is actually absent in my version of the album.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05