Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Figuring Out Sizes For Older Stamps.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 469Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mic-8538 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!I'm in the process of making my own album of Bulgarian stamps from 1879 until 1949.. The problem is some of the older stamps I do not yet own I can't find the sizes of them online!only perforations... have you guys ever encountered this problem? do you have any solutions for it?Should I just make pages as I get the stamps?

Thanks!

-Michael T
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael,

I'm running into this problem as well. Here are a couple of possible solutions:

1. Get a subscription to the Steiner pages (costs $50 currently). Convert the pdf file to MS Powerpoint (not free) or LibreOffice Draw (free). Click on the boxes and see what the dimensions are... This is tedious but highly accurate.

2. Get the "World Stamp Collector" database (search for it, it is free) and learn how to use it to generate Album Easy pages. I checked Bulgaria and it has most of the early issue sizes.

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5465 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Italy
31 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MaryMonty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you can find album pages for Classic Bulgaria
https://bjornb.seymourfamily.com/bhb1/album-e.htm
Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey john!

just so you know powerpoint is actually free and does not require a membership microsoft offers these apps for free but they are cloud based/online and require internet and a free microsoft account :)

https://office(dot)live(dot)com/sta...int(dot)aspx once you login in with a msft account you have access to word/excel/powerpoint and all the other apps

Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MaryMonty,

I actually saw that site before and his album is very good just not a fan of the comic sans and there are some mistakes in the pages both text and stamp order I have emailed the person who created it offering to translate to Bulgarian and even to correct the other stuff but I have yet to receive a reply!
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   1:51 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2. Get the "World Stamp Collector" database (search for it, it is free) and learn how to use it to generate Album Easy pages. I checked Bulgaria and it has most of the early issue sizes.

Actually, you don't even have to install and learn the World Collector software, Collector Dave, the creator of World Collector, has exported many of his albums in AlbumEasy format. These can be downloaded here:
https://www.thestampweb.com/albums/...stamp-albums.
You can download and use the albums as is, as the basis for a custom album using AlbumEasy, or if you prefer, because AlbumEasy files are plain text files, you can simply edit the text file and copy the sizing information.

Edited to add: When I don't have the sizes, nor the stamps, I simply wait until I have representative issues of the necessary stamps that I can measure before creating a particular page.

Clive

AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Edited by clivel - 04/07/2021 1:54 pm
Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really cool to have you on here clive I actually discovered album easy prior to making an account on here and have been watching your tutorials on how to use album easy

also thanks for your help!
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   2:34 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mic-8538,
I hope that you find the tutorials useful :)
I am always happy to help if you have any queries, I can be contacted via this forum once you have enough posts, or via the contact form on my website.
Clive

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael,

You are quite right - Powerpoint is free for online usage. I have the offline access version, which requires the annual subscription to the office suite.

Clive,

Unless I missed it, Bulgaria is not one of the pre-made Album Easy files offered by Collector Dave at your site. There are a few pages of Bulgaria offered, but not much... To get the full monte, you have to download the database and take it from there. (Disclaimer - I am still a tyro when it comes to the database, as it takes quite an effort to figure out, with minimal help files available).

BTW, I am a big fan of your wonderful program Album Easy. It makes editing/creating your own pages a snap! For Steiner fans, it brings a whole new level of possibilities...

John
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note about Steiner. The boxes aren't always accurate, but they are close enough in most cases. Have been some that required changes, though.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example page from a Berlin album using AlbumEasy and the World Stamp Collector database. Very simple - no border (although any kind of border, including Steiner can be added easily).

AlbumEasy has one tremendous advantage compared to hacking Steiner pages using Powerpoint or LibreOffice Draw. No issues with fonts or spacing (you specify the fonts to be used throughout the pages) or centering of images if you choose to add images to your pages. The images will be perfectly centered, at the size you choose, within the stamp box. Not always the case when using the Powerpoint or Draw method...

I think this page probably took me ten minutes or less to do. With lots of pages under your belt, you will be spending a few minutes on each page!

John

p.s. Of course this page is cut down, and not a full sized page.

Edited by johnsim03 - 04/07/2021 3:42 pm
Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
but how do you get the picture to be on scale then john?
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael,

Great question. The bottom line is that it does not matter at all. In the AlbumEasy source file, the image is scaled down to fit the stamp box. Assuming the stamp box size is correct (actual stamp dimension + 3 mm space, for example), the image will be scaled down appropriately inside of the box. All of which is customizable.

Neat!

John
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   6:04 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
I am pleased that you find AlbumEasy useful :)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Your sample page looks great.

You are right about the premade World Collector Bulgaria album, unfortunately, it only contains a few pages and ends in 1901, I hadn't taken a close look.
Clive

Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having encountered the original question- How to find the sizes of stamps not in your possession. If you have the perf size and find an image of the stamp online. Simply count the perfs along the width or length, Divide that # by the perf size and multiply by 2. That's the size in cm. Again,tedious but workable.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 469Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05