Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Figuring Out Sizes For Older Stamps.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 692Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   05:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phillystamper,

What a great trick! Thank you for sharing it. I'm picturing a spreadsheet in my head which will do all of the calculations automatically... Adding a mm column of course to convert cm's to mm's for AlbumEasy purposes.

John

Another sample page is below (image optimized to upload). Not to hijack Michael's thread, this is just another simple example of how easy it is to create illustrated pages in the Steiner style.

Notes:

The AlbumEasy source file (template) for this file is only 83 lines long, including extensive comments...

Catalog numbers are Scott, and yes, I know that catalog #s can't be used for commercial purposes - this is a page from a personal USA commemoratives album...

It was created by using a shell at the AlbumEasy site. The font is Palatino Linotype, which I am fond of.

If anyone wants a copy of the shell AlbumEasy template file, just let me know...

John

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by johnsim03 - 04/08/2021 05:38 am
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never knew Math would be useful for philately I will definitely try that trick thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
821 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking page - and good choice in font (also what I use for my AlbumEasy pages).
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, VERY nice page for one of my favorite group of US commemoratives. One other hack for dimensions that works most of the time, but sometimes doesn't, is to use an app called stamp analyzer. It has a little "tape measure". Sometimes the program doesn't determine the dpi correctly for a photo and comes up with the wrong info. You'll know it b/c it will show the wrong perf size.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One final example of a sample topical page using the Phillystamper dimension method, combined with AlbumEasy, to easily construct topical pages. This one is a Steiner clone with a background image.

John

Edited by johnsim03 - 04/08/2021 2:11 pm
Valued Member
Canada
281 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   3:00 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you have the perf size and find an image of the stamp online. Simply count the perfs along the width or length, Divide that # by the perf size and multiply by 2. That's the size in cm. Again,tedious but workable.

Phillystamper,
what an excellent and useful idea, thanks, I occasionally count perfs on images on online auctions when the seller hasn't differentiated between perf varieties, but never thought to do so for the stamp dimensions.

John,
Thanks for sharing your pages, they are really very nice. I particularly like your Chess page with the background image.

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 692Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05