Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commemorative Bulletins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 345Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
184 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BakerJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! I recently found a ringed binder that has Commemorative Bulletins in them along with plate blocks. Are these bulletins collectible? Do you know where I might find information about these bulletins and maybe a value for them? I have never seen them before. I thank you in advance for your input. The pics below are just an example of what is in the binder.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
522 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were the precursor to Souvenir Pages. They're bulletins announcing the issues, and people used to take the stamps, and get First Day issues stamped at the post office. These were the basis for unofficial souvenir pages.

The idea caught on, and the post office began to issue official First Days pages I think in 1972.

The ones you have above, don't have stamps affixed, with the date stamps, so I suspect they have low value (pennies for the whole binder). The stamps are worth about face value, so they can be used on mailings.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the bulletins are collectible, even if no stamp is attached. They do sell on eBay. If you go that route, sell the bulletin and its stamps together.

Personally, there are several from what appears to be your time period of topical interest to me. Email me if you want.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/08/2021 3:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
573 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure "pennies" is correct. A handful from this era without first-day cancellations on eBay carry a listings around $10. Unsure if they can sell for that price, but a topical collector or "year" collector would want these to enhance specific areas of a collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! I appreciate your help.
Parcelpostguy, I sent you an e-mail.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
522 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure there can be a few outliers that are more desirable, but on average, without the stamp FDC, you're looking at ~50 cents/page. My point was really, it's not something that enjoyed appreciation despite them being super attractive and fun. This is not to say that some aren't more desirable and may attract buyers.

Some may fetch $1-$1.50 but with anything you need to find a buyer, and generally speaking it will be easier to sell in bulk as flat sheet shipping individually becomes more expensive. Initial inspections:

ref: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233919695983
newer ones - https://www.ebay.com/itm/303877336746
A bigger collection - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...333908937686

Noone is getting $10/sheet without a FDC stamp, unless... reasons.

Now when you have the stamp on it, you start talking real money for the older unofficial bulletins. Those start to go for $15-$25 a page and prices can go way way up, in unfolded, unhole punched, and pristine condition for the harder to find ones.

On a side note, and my intention isn't to boast, but I wanted to share something cool on topic. I do have every official page as my father collected them on subscription since inception, and I inherited his. These deliveries were always exciting to both of us as the pages were so beautiful and we learned a lot from each page.

I did buy him a few that were excluded from the subscription to complete the collection before he passed some time ago. I believe what I have is the rarest official one ever with the rare show postmark, which I've never seen anyone else have or sell, despite listings claims that 1000 or 2 are out there. I know there are a few other rarities around bizarre page watermarks. I have no idea what it is worth/what someone would pay for this postmark and I am not looking to sell it as it means so much to me. Again, not enough to get rich, but like with most stamps, is a neat collectible and something my Dad and I shared our love for together. So now I am sharing it with all of you.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I own the page rismoney shows. It has only the show cancels unless some show-goer took the sheet and stamp to another post office that day for a cancel. Don't hold you breath to find one.

These items, when the stamps are attached and cancelled on the correct date started in 1960 with the first four in order of Scott listing, SP1-4 were produced from 1960-1965 and were Liberty Series issues. Yet SP5-12 are listed as produced in 1959 and all unpriced with a dash "-". With the stamps, they are listed in the Scott US Specialized and priced. The postal bulletin becomes a "Souvenir Page" when the same stamp is affixed and tied with a First Day Cancel.

The Family Planning is listed at $650.00 with the show cancel and only $150 for the few know cancelled somewhere other than the show, "unofficial." Moore, the $5.00 stamp, #1295, cats at $135 and is the other other one to break three figures in cat value before 2000. Of the 1352 produced from 1960 to 2000, only the first ninety break two figures with a couple of dozen total there after. The only other three figure cat is for a stamp variety on the page, the 1972 Olympics with the Broken Red Ring on #1480. This all per the 2021 Scott US Specialized.

I picked my Family Planning up sometime not too far back for a bit over 10% cat. Purchased from a seller who sells on eBay but not as an eBay transaction and well after we did some business via eBay. Part of a large number of pages in one transaction.

[I answered you BakerJ]
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/08/2021 7:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3592 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These bulletin board fliers began in July 1959 with Scott 1132, issued July 4, 1959 (SP5), which really should be the first one. The way Scott numbers the basic stamps vs the souvenir panels against their issue dates creates a numbering anomaly giving an illusion of not starting until 1960.

A complete collection of bulletin board fliers would also includes postal stationery items, which don't typically get attached to the bulletins and cancelled, and thus not among the numbered souvenir panel listings.

The early ones are certainly not available for pennies, even uncanceled.

Add: as an example, bulletin board flier for U542, issued May 28, 1960, and which does not have a corresponding "SP" number.
Edited by John Becker - 04/08/2021 7:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
522 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looked on eBay and apparently, there is a Family Planning with show cancel listed that can be had for probably 20% cat if you factor in the rest of the 1972 set. Guess it's out there if you look. Rarities ain't what they used to be and the market for Souvenir Pages has always been super squishy. My guess is it comes across as a manufactured postal collector's item, instead of a genuine philatelic thing.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6254 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had quadrillions of these pass through my hands from large bulk lots and they all kept me warm during the Winter when kindling was in short supply.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Listed as "US Stamp #1455 SP308 Family Planning Souvenir Page" is currently on sale for 50% of normal at $175 with a non-show FD cancel:

Listed as "Rare Family Planning FDC Souvenir Page Mar 18 1972 New York Show Station Cancel" it is $95 or Make Offer:

The same seller has the same for auction listed as, "Semi-Official Family Planning FDC Souvenir Page Mar 18 '72 NY Show Station Cancl" with an open of $76.50

Lastly this is the seller of the item rismoney mentions above. The description is, "Rare 1972 USPS First Day Souvenir Page 18 Sheet Complete Set w Family Planning" with an auction open of $197.50. However, a group of National Park stamps were issued for the 100th anniversary and they are both popular and sell closer to their catalog prices of about $285 for the five.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/08/2021 9:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1396 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When citing examples of eBay listings, it is always more informative to select the option to show only "Sold Items." The one showing an open of $76.50 did sell for that price on March 25th.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, blcjr, not when the question posted by rismoney being answered is, "Guess it's out there if you look." Sold items are not out there on the market, they do indicate prices at which items have sold, but not what is currently available.

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05