Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The End Of The Physical Postage Stamp?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 689Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is fascinating. A selected paragraph from the article sums it up to a degree:

Quote:
The Stamp Free Digital Postage Solution allows businesses and consumers to use the Stamp Free app to send parcels and letters as well as return consumer goods without the need for a postage stamp, or printing a postage stamp at home, by utilizing machine handwriting recognition as a core part of its technology.

https://www.parcelandpostaltechnolo...sectors.html
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard recently, no data, just hearsay ... that Iceland is no longer going to print stamps - they apparently believe that with the declining use of physical mail, they have enough and that, if they do need more, they'll just reprint a few commemoratives ...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9259 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   10:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And there is no Pony Express either. Email is virtually free and instant, it is the next generation in an ongoing postal system evolution. And even email is going to become passť after a few more years. Those of us who use desktops computer are dinosaurs, people want to carry all their data on their person and not on a desktop computer. The next huge changes are coming in I/O (Input/Output). People want to talk to their device, not type on a keyboard or use a mouse. 3D holographic displays can be popped up from a watch and make our current LCD monitors look like Betamax's in the coming years.
This is why I have much of Stamp Smarter content stored in SQL databases, it remains viable no matter what happens to user interfaces and the constant evolutionary march of technology. If everyone is using voice I/O in the future, the info that Alexa fetches comes from a SQL databases.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1126 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Email is virtually free and instant, it is the next generation in an ongoing postal system evolution.

Not so in Canada. After trying for years to get traction, Canada Post is closing its epost system on December 31, 2022. Here is a link to the story.

https://torontosun.com/news/nationa...rvice-to-end

Stampfree may replace the postage stamp as far as the regular stamped "mail" is concerned, and it sounds easy, but what about customs declarations, insurance, cod, taxes and duties, signatures etc. when shipping, especially outside the country of origin. Is all that data going to be accessable to all the different postal, and customs officials around the globe. Imagine the logistics to coordinate and link the different systems.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 04/08/2021 11:06 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I notice a player at the Masters Golf
wearing a Tshirt emblazoned "Easypost"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2569 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   08:07 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"People want to talk to their device, not type on a keyboard or use a mouse. "

Only if you want everyone to know your business.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5152 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People want to talk to their device, not type on a keyboard or use a mouse.

Just what we need, more crazy people walking around waving their hands talking to nobody.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1897 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If postage stamps became obsolete, it would not bother me one bit. I hope it happens.
Learn More...
9259 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   4:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only if you want everyone to know your business.

Quote:
Just what we need, more crazy people walking around waving their hands talking to nobody.

I do not look at smart phones myopically, I see them in the context of ubiquitous and distributed computing. I do admit that I am 'old school' and have avoided using smart phones. It was only last year before I finally got one and the only person I have ever called on it is my wife. I purchased it for, and use it almost exclusively, to send my blood test results to the COVID study that I have been participating in since May 2020.

But that said and my personal preferences aside, a person would have to be blind to not see that transformation that has been occurring in computing devices. Desktop computer sales continue to fall each year and mobile devices continue to overtake the computing device of choice for the majority of people. Last year an estimated 4 billion smartphones were in use, that represents an astounding 50% of the entire world's population.

One only has to look at Samsung's DeX platform to understand how smart phones and desktops are converging. People want to have their information on their person, not sitting on a desktop back at home or at work. This is going to quickly turn into BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) where you walk into your office, sit your smart phone down and it will wirelessly connect to a mouse, monitor, keyboard and even TVs. This capability will soon expand to meeting rooms, restaurants, libraries, your car, etc.

At my company back in the late 1990s, we sat around in our brainstorming engineering meetings talking about ubiquitous and distributed computing. Within a year or two we headed down a road which allowed the combining of 'edge of network' embedded computing devices to make a larger, more powerful single device. This capability has been quietly maturing in the background in IT and its power is on display with implementations like Folding@home. This online, crowdsourcing project has over 750,000 participants who donate their idle computing power to combine to a collective 1.5 exaflops of power. Think about that, 1.5 exaflops is almost as much as the 2023 El Capitan supercomputer; 1.5 exaflops of power can execute a quintillion calculations per second. Folding@home played a role in the development of the COVID vaccines and is also being used to model protein molecules to find cures for diseases like cancer and Alzheimer's.

In my opinion this is not about clueless kids walking around married to their smartphones and social media; it is about ubiquitous and distributed computing. The next steps are BYOD but beyond that voice recognition and 'pop-up' displays will make carrying all your information and communicating with the rest of the world from your person commonplace.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
526 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That may indeed be the future and the world will generally be better off for it, but being old old school, I agree with the folks above lamenting the downside. We are already seeing it in many instances - people who look and sound like they're talking to themselves when they're conversing thru their earpods. People jabbering away while walking or jogging, in restaurants and cafes, on trains, on airplanes (won't be long before that's allowed even in flight which is when I will give up flying), etc. Now multiply that 100 times over with the next generation (ZZ or whatever) and that's a world that I do not wish to inhabit. For every intelligent person constructively utilizing these new capabilities, there will be 100 morons who will fill the world with noise just because the capability is there. But the world will indeed be all the better for these developments and happily I won't be around to see it, having lived my life in a perfectly satisfying way without it.

End of rant.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 04/12/2021 6:14 pm
Learn More...
9259 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   7:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Oracle,
From my chair I would agree that mankind is not improving with each generation and in some ways may actually be getting worse.

But I do not think that this is due to technology; I think that the changes are moral, ethical, and educational issues. For example, drunk driving is not due to the vehicles; it is a lapse of moral, ethical, and/or educational judgment. (In my opinion these are things that should be taught at home and not at school, on the street, on TV, or online. If indeed things are getting worse with each generation then we should be figuring out what is going on with parenting.)

Tech is neither evil or benevolent, it is a tool. And like any type of tool, it can be used for good or bad depending upon the moral, ethical, and/or educational judgments of the people wielding it.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something that has bothered me is the lack of interaction amongst people now. When I am in a waiting room for an appointment with other people or in a informal social setting everyone is absorbed in their respective devices and seemingly unaware of those around them or they use the device as an excuse to not interact with others. No eye contact and no verbal communication. I observe that critical social skills that come with being mature are disappearing amongst younger generations. Communications is an art not solely reserved for the keypad. Some will do fine creating and living in a world defined by texts and remote interpersonal communication. Most will not I fear. And for goodness sake stop yammering into your device about uncomfortably personal matters around other people. We do not want to hear it.

"Sit down with a person and hold a real conversation with eye contact and facial expressions" should be required learning.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1126 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a friend who likes on-line gaming. His wife, too. He sits in the living room, gaming away. She sits in her home office, gaming away. For hours and hours on end. They both play the same game, and 90% of their daily interaction is in the game. IN THE GAME (and a few walls away from each other) they will converse about what is going in this weekend (gaming, most of the time) and who will get the milk at the store that they need. They even eat separately. They are closing in on 50 years old and have been married for about 10 years. Aside from desperation, I can't imagine this marriage lasting, but they seem to be happy 'together'. I think it is ridiculous. They have no kids (you DO have to be in the same room to get that done).

I wonder, and hope, if society will 'burn out' on all this tech and reject it (at least the extent to which we use it) for a 'simpler' life. Use it at work, and let the 'behind the scenes' stuff continue, but let our 'conscious' lives be mostly without it. It is just killing the social structure of society - online convos are NOT a substitute for face-to-face convos. I am sure others would disagree, but the same goes for Zoom (and the like) convos. Tech is a tool, not a lifestyle.

As for actual postage stamps going bye-bye, it would have zero-impact on my collecting. I do not collect current issues. Having said that, I CAN imagine this move would have a deleterious effect on the hobby, in general. If we don't use stamps anymore in our daily lives, I can imagine many youngsters simply never getting interested because they don't see them. It's analogous to children not knowing how to read a non-digital clock, or what a circular-dialing phone is, or a phone booth, or postcards (I know they still exist, but when was the last time you got one in the mail?). It's a bit of 'out of sight, out of mind'. Besides (and I may be wrong here), I thought the PO made money off of collectors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1112 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
postcards (I know they still exist, but when was the last time you got one in the mail?)

Friday. But that's because one of my friends and I have deliberately chosen to communicate by that method most of the time, rather than by phone or e-mail. It's always fun to see what card he's chosen.
Pillar Of The Community
793 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received a very nice Easter card from a German friend. I just sent a birthday card to a friend in South America.

I do not receive many postcards. Mostly, I am the one sending postcards. Sometimes I make a little round trip and send up to 50 postcards in a week to friends who asked me to send them postcards when I go on a trip. They collect postcards.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 689Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05