Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The "B" Color For The German Empire, MI # 540yb Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Valued Member

Romania
423 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   05:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cupram to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In 2000 the color "b" was called "lilabraun / dunkel lilabraun"

Michel specialized changed the name of the color to "dunkel rotlichbraun / dunkelsiena" color that also appears in the certifications 2019 of the experts.

I have Michel color Guide ed.38 and I compared my stamp with the colors indicated in the catalog.
It is very different from the color "a" -dunkelrotlichkarmin / dunkelsiena.
It Is the color "b"?

I did not find in Michel specialized another German stamp from this period to compare it with the shade "a" and on sales sites I found the shade of my stamp and also on "germanstamp.net".
Is the name of the shade "a" wrong in the Michel specialized catalog or is the color "dunkelrotlichkarmin" proof wrong in the Color Catalog?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1042 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   05:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PostmasterGS, probably, would be the one to answer your question.

What was and is the colour of the 12 Pfennig stamp? That appears to be reddish carmine. Maybe the new catalogue indeed made an error and copied the text for the 12 Pf. to the listing for 540ya. Reddish carmine is a completely different colour from reddish brown.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The colors on the "a" and "b" are very similar. I think the Michel color for the "a" is incorrect, at least according to the color guide.

I don't have a "b" so I can't show my own scan's side-by-side, but here's a scan from an auction of an "a" (left) and a certified "b" (right, with margin) next to each other.

Michel does note that on the "b", the center color and the main color are almost identical.

You can also see many "b" copies for auction on Philasearch, and to my eye, they appear identical to the "a" color. When I buy one, it's going to have to be a certified copy, because I really can't see the difference.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Romania
423 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi PostmasterGS,NSK,

I can't handle colors and especially their names in different languages.
As a collector of German stamps, the Michel Color Guide is essential in identifying colors.
There are shades that are still difficult for me to identify.
For the 12 pf stamp the recent color name is schwarzlichrosarot / dunkelsiena and corresponds perfectly with the one in the color catalog.

PostmasterGS- Thank you for the information about of "identical colours"
I took 2 pictures with the lens of my minimicroscope.
Due to the LED light, the color changes but I only watched the similarity of the 2 colors.
In the picture on the bottom left, the colors appear different but I can confirm that it is the same color (I think so).
The resemblance is better seen in the picture on the top left where the horizontal lines are approximately the same thickness as the vertical ones.
Another stamp from my collection of mysterious stamps ("a" or "b" colour?)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5514 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5514 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Romania
423 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks floortrader for posts.
These are the 2 colors (center and exterior) of the 540yb stamp. It looks very similar.

To look almost identical I think the exterior should be "schwarzlichrotlichbraun" (like your stamp on the right that has an extra shade of black that softens the reddish color)
Is the stamp certified for color "b"?
Valued Member
Romania
423 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader-The 12 pf stamps are (I think) 2 shades of the same color-schwarzlichrosarot.
The same stamp previously posted, looks different (I haven't photographed it in sunlight)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5514 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your question , no.. it is not expertized ,
Learn More...
9757 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   4:10 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, on my monitor I can see the delta in the software and algorithms that were used to generate the images.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05