Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Requesting Research Help - Stamps Used As Currency

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 252Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dennis88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am doing research for a new book on postage currency, which I definite as either:

-Stamps that circulated as money as-is (Serbia 1915 issue for example)
-Currency based on postally used stamps with differences (Russia/Ukraine with inscription on back, Greece 10 Lepta 1922 etc etc)
-"Banknotes" with stamps affixed for verification (Marshall Hole issues from the Boer War)

I am looking for anything that would fall in these three categories, including oddities, errors, imperforates, specimens etc etc. My research does not include banknotes printed in the shape/form of stamps but had otherwise no postal relation, nor do I include encased postage as that would be enough for a book on its own. I have a fairly good idea of what exists but there might be local issues I am missing. If you have anything that you think would fall in this category, I would appreciate a picture (credit given, of course).

Also if anyone has any newspaper articles and other sources showing how these were used that would be fantastic. Because a lot of these circulated in countries whose language I don't speak, I have found very few contemporary sources.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis
Send note to Staff
Edited by Dennis88 - 04/09/2021 3:05 pm

Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edit in response to the OP's edit:

Here is a good start for USA matter: http://www.coin-currency.com/page173.html for US postal currency.

US Fractional currency:

That New Metallic Currency - CIVIL WAR ENCASED STAMPS - The Issuers And Their Times by Fred L. Reed III

The Standard Catalogue of Encased Postage Stamps by Michael J. Hodder

https://siegelauctions.com/2012/1029/1029.pdf The Dr. William A. Litle Collection of United States Encased Postage
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/09/2021 4:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See Frame 4 of my paying the postage exhibit here for several examples:

https://www.rfrajola.com/Wash2006/w...06frame4.htm
Edited by Richard Frajola - 04/09/2021 3:27 pm
2 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dennis88 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The research does not include fractional currency, as these were never used postally even though the basic designs might have been similar. Encased postage is also not included, as I consider those more related to coins and there is a plethora of reference works out there already.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05