Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time I Have Received These Types Of Stamps On An Envelope.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 749Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add eraserman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have never received fractional amount stamps before but these were on an envelope I received today. The ambulance ones were pre-canceled ones as well.

Also this ink stamp was on the envelope. Which makes me wonder this, do you need a permit or authorization to use pre-canceled stamps.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
618 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you can use the precancelled postage if you have a permit. You also have to put your permit info on the envelope. You have a piece of postal history.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USA started with 1/2 and 1 & 1/2 cent stamps for decades for use related to third class. In 1938 a 4&1/2 cent stamp was issues. Those values continue and a 1&1/4 cent was added in the Liberty Series. in the late 1970's the decimal stamps X.y cents were issued and we moved away from the fractional stamps. These decimal stamp also met certain non-regular first class mailing rates for the Americana and Transportation coil series. When they have a mention of a service, such as "bulk rate" or "non-profit" that is the rate for which the stamp was issued and to which the use of the stamp is now restricted.

Such fractional and decimal rates can be found on Postal Stationary issued by the Post Office as well, but not as many values as with the stamps.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   05:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of a package were these stamps used on, I might ask? Bulk rate seems to have been called for.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7533 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
===What kind of a package were these stamps used on, I might ask===

First Class Mail, and the amount on the cover has to be correct for the period.
Anyone can apply for a collector's permit at the post office, ask for PS form 3615
For info go to www.pnc3.org , click on the 'reference' button and go to 'precancel permit'. It does not cost a thing.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been looking on eBay daily for last 5 or 6 years trying to find a plate block or sheet of Purple Heart Scott 3784A, plate # P6666 with no success. I have been able to collect P1111, P2222, P3333, P4444, P5555,
and P7777 but not P6666.

Does anyone know why this plate # is so hard to find?
Albert
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting info and I love the Transportation coil series from the 1980's and early 1990's form which these precanceled stamps come. Although they aren't rare I do agree that what you have is uncommon and something desirable by collectors BOTH for the precancel authorization AND use of Transportation Coil stamps. I had kept a few from an old stamp collection of my deceased brother.
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
Posted 05/17/2021   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought I would add this piece that has multiple coils dated 1995. Are these strange bedfellows or would you expect to see this pairing and use?

my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 749Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05