Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Federated Malay States And Straits Settlements

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Calstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings.

Wish to obtain a catalogue (need not be the most recent publication date) which I can use to identify stamps issued by the Federated Malay States (FMS) and Straits Settlements. Particularly the various shade varieties, perforation varieties, ink varieties, etc.

To-date have been reliant on the Scott catalogue (Standard as well as Classic Specialized) which includes very limited information re varieties.

Have reviewed the Lin Yang Chen website and KGVI's British Colonial Stamps website.

Does the Stanley Gibbons' "Brunei, Malaysia, and Singapore" catalogue also include listings for FMS and Straits Settlements?

Does the Stanley Gibbons' "Commonwealth & British Empire Stamps 1840 1970" include listings for FMS and Straits Settlements?

Am also interested in Dr. F.E. Wood's "The postage stamps of the Federated Malaya States and Johor et al", second reprint, July 1981. Does this book include a catalogue listing of the FMS and Straits Settlements stamps? Or is the focus chiefly on the history, design, and printing of these stamps?

Thanks in advance.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by classic_paper - 04/10/2021 10:41 am
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I use. You can usually find them on eBay.

Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, Coastwatcher.

Found a more recent edition of your book earlier today via the publisher site.

Can you confirm the contents are presented in English?
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calstamp, Yes, it is entirely in English.
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, Coastwatcher.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
963 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5840 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG Commonwealth covers the area, and probably gives you better catalogue numbers than Scott for internet purchasing. Actually, you probably want to use both sets of numbers.

Robson Lowe's Encyclopedia has lots of miscellaneous detail for most anything in the Empire, and even though the information is more than 50 years old, it's still nice to have.

If you end up drilling down into the KGV era, then Fernbank's King George V Key Plates of the Imperium Postage and Revenue Design has good coverage of the Straits Settlements. If you're going to jump in with both feet, get the second edition, as it's enlarged, but, more importantly for those of us who are shallow about these sorts of things, largely in color.

Whenever* I look something up in SG's Commonwealth, I also check the Commonwealth Five Reigns Catalogue put out by Bridger and Kay. Mine is 1980. It lists things that SG doesn't mention. You may have seen it mentioned on the kgvi site. It does not cover the entirety of the Commonwealth, but it does include SS and Malaya.

*This statement is aspirational. I know that I should check Five Reigns every time; in practice, it's not every time.
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you galeoptix and cjd.

Read through the Malaya Study Group website. Purchased Gibbons' "Commonwealth & BE" and the Malaysia specialty catalogue from Intl Stamp & Coin.

And requested loan of FE Wood book from the APRL.

This should keep me busy for now.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5840 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's how it starts...

If this will be your first experience with SG's Commonwealth, allow for a long first date...you'll be flipping around for hours.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2996 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My primary reference is SG book (content similar to 1840-1970 book)but also have the Tan book. The Tan book has more illustrations. SG covers shades and perforation varieties much more than Scott.

Al
Edited by angore - 04/12/2021 07:09 am
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, angore. That's precisely the info I was seeking. Specific to perforation and shade varieties. So will add your recommendation to the purchase list. (Can never have too many reference books!)
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05