Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time For Another Fun Game Of "Why Did I Bid On This Lot?"

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,325Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   12:33 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well there are two general aspects about this lot that I liked:

1. The checks and especially the stock memos, instead of having an east coast focus as is typically found, many are Colorado usages, which increase their appeal. Also some nice cancels in the bunch.

2. This is sheer conjecture, and NOT something to solely base a buying decision upon, but could be pure bonus: I'm willing to bet that some of the documents shown without revenue stamps actually have revenue stamps on the reverse or interiors and Noblespirit just didn't bother due to time constraints. If so, they may be common usages, but you never know.

There were 4 items in particular that I purchased the lot for:

1. Two checks with very unusual geometric star cancels on 3rd issue revenues. I've not seen this particular cancel before, and to have it attributed is very nice:

2. As Bart mentioned, nothing perf-wise that jumped out on the consular issues, but file under missing the forest for the trees: Look at the designs. One of the first design types is the "FOREIGN SERVICE" rather than "CONSULAR SERVICE". It is #RK25 which catalogs $140:

3. The biggie is what I assume Eric noticed right away: A Scott #R161, the orange half-cent battleship, used on document. Very rare. The number reported is in single digits (7 examples per the 1898 blogspot website, although the last article regarding the R161 document census is from 2011). It apparently was only printed for a very short time before being switched from orange to gray ink. It's the first on document I've had an opportunity to acquire:

Take those 4 items, add the sheer volume of everything else, plus the possibility of more finds, and it was an easy bid to make.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 04/11/2021 12:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So the smallest denomination made the biggest splash, 1/2 cent battleship. Thanks for sharing. Also I am surprised no one called me on mentioning the $15,000 Philadelphia Klein to Robey check as it was not in this lot. Not even sure that check still exists.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/11/2021 01:18 am
Valued Member
Canada
238 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must admit the condition of everything is impressive. Now, all you have to do is wait for it to arrive. I am getting sick of winning something and waiting 4-5 weeks to get my hands on it...
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awww Mr C Magoo, sometimes delayed gratification is the best of it (in my opinion)
Cheers
I was going to write Mr Magoo, in stead I opted for the less formal.
Edited by GMC89 - 04/11/2021 10:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
724 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

The piece d'resistance of the ½¢ orange documentary battleships is the solo use of the ½¢.

Ron Lesher
Valued Member
Canada
238 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an overdue thick stamp album coming from PA. I have to wonder how many times it has been flipped around and tossed since March 12. I should find out this week. GMC89 - you are describing my photography experiences as a teenager. A friend of mine had a Canon and I had a Minolta. We'd drop off a roll of film at the mall and wait an entire week to get the 24 or 25 exposures back. Yeah, we would always try to get one more shot to see how good the technicians were.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   11:03 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The piece d'resistance of the ½¢ orange documentary battleships is the solo use of the ½¢.

Hi Ron,

Oh without a doubt. But I'll take 'em as I can get 'em... beggars can't be choosers when it comes to low-pop material. AFAIK there are only 2 solo uses of R161 reported. I have 3 or 4 solo uses of R162, the gray 1/2-cent battleship, which is more common (but still relatively scarce).
Edited by revenuecollector - 04/11/2021 11:06 am
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   1:42 pm  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is the 1/2c orange Battleship Documentary stamp on document, far and away the best item in the lot. I have handled a few of this stamp on documents over the years and they were all insurance policies. This document, although insurance related, is a bit different which makes it more interesting in my opinion. It is a wonderful addition to your collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
608 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good thread. Fun to read and learn from everyone.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must admit that reviewing this lot was fun. What variety!

I am not a revenue collector so have no clue what a lot like this would be worth, and wouldn't have likely to bid on it.

I particularly liked the early 1871 revenues in nice condition on documents, the "Fly Trap" newspaper ad with the chicken chasing an insect, the high value document stamps (I believe I saw a $30 one), the advertising or more accurately business envelopes tied with the revenues and some of the State revenues. I thought it interesting that a more modern expo cover was the last item, and wondered if there was something unique about that or was it a red herring?

It was fun material to look at, but I would be lost as to where to start to analyze it, so my take is purely from interest.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2595 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   07:52 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to guess the RKs but am too late to the party
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I particularly liked the GAR postcard
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   9:20 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So the lot arrived the day before yesterday. No major surprises. The warranty deeds, as I had hoped all had documentary reds on them, but unfortunately only common low denominations for the most part. There were a couple of $4 denominations, a solo $1.65 usage, and the most common (non-overprinted) $30 and $60 denominations. The once nice thing is that none were cut or perfin cancelled. Still, since I wasn't really counting on them for anything it's a nice bonus.

The most interesting item in the lot was in fact the piece that Eric was curious about, from Consolidated Decalcomania. It's actually a 3-panel fold-out salesman's sample kit with two clear plastic plates with decalcomania stamps affixed:

Now here's where it gets really interesting...

Based upon the stamps, I put this folder at 1937 or so.

All of the stamps on the first plate above correspond to actual stamp types:

Kansas #C24 (1935)
Arkansas #C45 (1934)
Pennsylvania #C1 (1935)
Alabama #T20 (193x)
Washington #C5 (1936)
Connecticut #C8 (1936)

The 3 stamps on the second plate however, in my opinion are unique to this type of sales kit, at least based upon what is written in the SRS catalogue.

Pennsylvania #LS5aS (1936). However, the catalog references it as being a hold-punched specimen, whereas this is not punched.

Florida #L12 (1936). But not exactly... the catalogue does not list or mention a 10-cent denomination with bordered numerals on a dark background; that color combination only came with the subsequent type.

West Virginia #LS2s (1937). The catalogue mentions, but dashes for price, this type on clear plastic card, which I speculate was cut from one of these sample kits, as there is no reference to it being found on the same plastic as the aforementioned stamps.

Way way cool... can't imagine there are a lot out there. Would be a great collateral item.
Edited by revenuecollector - 04/15/2021 01:47 am
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   10:12 pm  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! What a neat item. The plastic sheets with the decals affixed come around, but I have never seen them with the cardboard folder. This is much more interesting than what I was expecting to see.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7427 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too have seen the plastics, but never the folder. Even the bottom one looks familiar; I am sure I have seen another like it many years ago. But the folder is really nice.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,325Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05