Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Mint Block - What Do These Numbers Mean?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 341Next Topic  
Valued Member

78 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Prexie3c to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have a mint block of French stamps, and I noticed some numbers at the bottom of the block.

64548 on the bottom left
IN 5 in the middle
13.12.49 on the right

I would like to learn about what I have, and find out what the numbers mean.

Thanks!

Send note to Staff
Edited by Prexie3c - 04/10/2021 7:54 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know that 13.12.49 is the printing date.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31935 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc# C27
Guess
13.12.49 13th December 1949 = Printing date
IN 5 IN? Perhaps "Intaglio" 5 Printing Press
64548 Design 645 1948
645 maybe designer or engraver

Look forward to reading the correct.

Edited by rod222 - 04/10/2021 8:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was issued in 1950, C27. The outside frame was the first time Jacques Combet, a prolific French engraver, worked on a stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
801 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you have is a Coin datÚ (dated corner) from 1949 of C27 (Yvert PA29). A collectible area for French stamps & Maury has a section dedicated to them. The date in the lower right is indeed the printing date, I'm not sure what the other numbers mean (picture in the catalog for this issue has values of 23215 & IM 7). For this stamp, there are coin datÚs from 1949, 1951, 52 and 53. Maury gives this one a value of 900 Euros not hinged, 700 hinged.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The number on the left is most likely a sheet number for accounting purposes. This suggestion ( not based on actual knowledge ) is supported by the appearance of the number apparently being printed by a mechanical counter, as would be the time stamp. If it were fixed data, as suggested by Rod, it would probably use the same font as the "IN 5" notation.

The sheet number has no real significance unless the counter is reset at the start of a print run or the start or end number is known. If one number is known, the the other can be inferred from the usually published number of stamps. This might be a useful thing to know, for example, to determine scarcity if a variety is first seen with early or late sheet numbers.

Other suggestions for the "IN 5" are they it identifies either the plate or the printing press.

Sheet numbers are common on Australian stamps. Printing dates are common on Swiss stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3090 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It starts out with the sheet number then the press no.(the machine that was used,this code is always in the interspacig in older stamp sheets) & printing date.
Edited by perf12 - 04/11/2021 09:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
792 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A later printing with another press number

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5102 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Die Proofs by Giorgio Leccese explains it this way

2nd period 1933-64

A new reference number was added to the sheet markings, taking the form of "I C 2"; the letter "I" was always used, possible standing for "indicatif"; "C" referred to the press operator, and "2" the number of" the press.

http://www.dieproofs.it/english/tip...mpa_eng.html
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31935 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done Lithograving.
Fascinating stuff.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05