Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

10 Cent Monroe Perforation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 618Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pretty sure it's a #562
Just can't seem to get the perforations figured out
I gave up (need a better gauge) couldn't hit 11 on any side
11.5 top and bottom
10 3/4 sides

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot posted in the wrong section
Could it be moved places please!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3422 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See U.S. Scott # 642
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#642 would explain the 10.5
Not the 11.5 or am I off

Pillar Of The Community
3529 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
U.S. stamps are NOT perfectly 11 or 10.5 etc. The catalog rounds off to the nearest half. This issue is actually slightly more than 11 at top/bottom as you are finding.

Have you calibrated you perforation gauge against a known standard to see that it is 2cm between the marks?

Your stamp is nominally 11 x 10.5 for cataloging purposes.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Against another #562 I think
I get pretty good 11 out of this one

Original
Pillar Of The Community
3422 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ideally, should be around 11.25 x 10.49 for such Stickney rotary press printed stamps.
Edited by jogil - 04/11/2021 2:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
3529 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp has numerous small vertical creases which will collectively decrease the width very slightly and thus increase the apparent perforation rate. You do not have a error or oddity, but rather a damaged stamp.
Valued Member
Learn More...
441 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just Fella,

Can you post a scan of your perf gauge?

A large number of state revenue stamps are perf 11 3/4 and your gauge actually has an 11 3/4.

Ignoring the Precision style US gauge, yours is the first I have ever seen with an 11 3/4! I'd like to get one.

Thanks in advance!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I'm starting to think something is off
Paper expansion
Gauge calibration off or something I don't know
But I've got a few more reading at 11.5 x 103/4
So just thinking something is wrong now
All my stamps are kept in the same location all covered and controlled (best I can)

Edited by Just_fella - 04/15/2021 11:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So would the franklin's be #632
The Jefferson a #641
And the Monroe's #642
Being 11.5x10 3/4 (moisture in the paper) they would be 11x10.5?

Pillar Of The Community
3422 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To check the gauge, use another ruler to check against the ruler on the gauge. Some plastic gauges can be unstable. The readings appear to be 1/4 gauge higher than the usual for these stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've checked on a few gauges all seem to be the same?
I read some other stamps just fine
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from the perf differences would I have identified them right?
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 618Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05