Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

147 With A Shift, Kiss, Or Dt

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BakerJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! This 147 I found has something going on with the inking. If you look at the "3" at the bottom, it looks to have a major shadow when compared to other 147. At the top in U.S. POSTAGE, you can see the ink in the letters. I don't know enough about this to determine what it would be. To the experts out there, what would you call it? I thank you in advance. Your assistance is always appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1832 Posts
Posted 04/11/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BakerJ,

This looks like a wet printing to me. The paper was normally dampened before printing, but in this case it looks like it was too damp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i agree, wet printing but the plate also appears worn annd that would also affect the ink.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help.
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a very wet paper print example:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7405 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The block really looks like a very poorly wiped plate, rather then the paper being too wet.
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I will add, there may also be a bit of solvent ink weakening as well on the 147 in the OP. But regarding the block I posted above:

"Type 54: Known as wet printing, the paper was too water saturated when the intaglio plate applied the ink (Scott 543)."

The above from: https://www.efocc.org/Resources/Hot...AA_Cover.php written by John Hotchner in 2000 after years (since 1979) of consulting and input by many EFO experts, including the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP).

For contrast, "Type 53: Inadequately wetted down paper prior to intaglio printing left this stamp with a light impression from inadequately adhering ink (Scott 565).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7405 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My main experience with "wet" printings is from about 50 years before this issue, but I have never seen stamps so wet that the ink completely covers all of the margins. To me all the ink lines in the margins appear to be a bade wipe job.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
757 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   08:04 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the 1c Washington block, it may be a wet printing, but is definitely a poorly wiped plate, as the diagonal streaks from wiping are clearly present.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
block is definitely a fine example of improper wiping. the 565 is the worst printed copy I have seen, and I wonder why it was allowed out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1750 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Returning to the OP question about a Banknote issue:

What makes you think it is a 147?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7405 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does not have the secret mark but it does have hard paper perfs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05