Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Browsing For Stamp Album Paper

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,327Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mic-8538 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
so I did my research learned that it has to be acid free/lignin free preferably 100% cotton and found this on Amazon can I get your thoughts? I went for 32 lb since I wish I had a stationnary store nearby to maybe see how the paper is but oh well I chose something in the middle not too heavy and not too light

https://www.amazon.ca/Southworth-Ex...37729&sr=8-1
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Search for this topic, there are several years worth of discussion on this. Like https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=21906 and https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=57746

In short, 32lb is going to (very likely) be too lightweight. Most certainly will be if you mount stamps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7393 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. I use 67 pound and sometimes it is too light, especially if there are many stamps or other items on the page

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 04/13/2021 3:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful on Amazon, many fake goods. You want to be certain you are getting the acid free product. Saving a bit and chancing Amazon can cost you greatly in the long run. There are brick and mortar commercial paper manufactures and suppliers.who will stand behind their products. They can even custom cut you paper stock to the size you want.

Lastly understand paper color varies by batch, so if a slight variation is an issue for you, purchase what you need in one batch.

The counterfeit items has stopped me from ordering on Amazon nor even maintaining an account.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/13/2021 3:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4370 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use the "Search" feature on SCF top bar right hand side.

Type in "Stamp Album Paper"

22,900 results.

Cancel the Amazon order.

Edited by redwoodrandy - 04/13/2021 4:16 pm
Learn More...
9259 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'Acid free' means nothing. No matter what you get you would be well served to test the paper yourself https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Testi...45605&sr=8-3
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott National pages as an example are 80#. Other album manufacturers commonly exceed 100# weight paper. Agree with PPG on Amazon fakes. Loaded with Chinese counterfeits from lightbulbs to paper and all in between. I have stopped ordering on Amazon as well.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Respectfully disagree with almost everyone in this thread. Do you seriously believe that the brand-name papers listed on Amazon are fakes? Most legitimate paper companies sell their wares on Amazon. You can get some fantastic deals, too. All just my humble opinion, of course...
John
Learn More...
9259 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Loaded with Chinese counterfeits from lightbulbs to paper and all in between. I have stopped ordering on Amazon as well.

Dear Mr. Omnipotent Jeff Bezos,
Rodgcam meant no offense, I am sure he was just joking. We all support Amazon to the fullest and have been faithfully staying home and out of Walmart. We understand that AWS controls most of the infrastructure that our hobby replies upon and in no way want to see that threatened. We all humbly apologize and will redouble our efforts to increase your $196 billion dollar worth.
Best Regards,
Don
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mic-8538 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just need some place to get something good and affordable I cant find a single good paper place in montreal :/ staples dosnt have crap and the other independant paper stores make craft paper which is yes made out of cotton but CUSTOM MADE and sold per 1 piece and not by pack!
Valued Member
Canada
280 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   8:17 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Southworth 100% cotton papers have a good reputation and are as archival as one is likely to get outside of a speciality supplier.

Unfortunately, in Canada, I have found very limited options for paper, so if you want the Southworth 32lb, it seems as if Amazon is the only option. Staples do carry 24lb which is far too light. They do list the 32lb in cream on their website but it has been out of stock for months. Emails enquiring if and when it will be back in stock have gone unanswered.

As an aside, it can be impossible to compare paperweights using pounds because different paper types use different basic scales.
Instead, for consistency, one should use the grams/square meter value which, even in the US, is listed on the packaging.

For example, one would expect Staples 67lb coverstock to be twice as heavy as the Southworth 32lb paper, but, as can be seen, when looking at the grams/square meter there isn't actually an enormous difference.
The 67lb coverstock is 148gsm, whereas the 32lb paper comes in at 120gsm, only about 20% lighter.

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Edited by clivel - 04/13/2021 8:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
598 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MIC-8538
Don't look for a paper supply store, look for a printing shop. One that prints business cards/advertising/shirts etc. I find it hard to believe that in a city as big as Montreal there is not someone that can help you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5531 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   02:17 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a thought. I assume that you're looking at paper of a similar size to A4, in which case you're potentially going to spend a lot of money on blank paper of a size that won't allow you to display your stamps especially well.
Pillar Of The Community
974 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This guy will sell you all-blank album paper at a reasonable price. It's the weight and size (and pretty close to the color) of Scott International, Scott Specialty, as Minkus album pages as well as regular printer paper, depending on which you need.

http://www.albumpages.net

As for weight, some collectors prefer album pages in a fairly cardboard-like heavy weight of around 100# but I find that too heavy. I prefer paper around 65# weight or slightly heavier. Printer paper is 20# weight and anything around 32# will be much too lightweight for a stamp album, at least in my opinion.

Print shops generally know paper pretty well. You might visit a few and ask if they can sell you medium weight paper in the sizes you want. You'll also need them to hole punch the paper, presumably. If you find what you want at a good price, buy more than you need because the next time you'll find the color has changed slightly. Matching the many shades of white is apparently not easy to do.
Edited by DrewM - 04/14/2021 03:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
801 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second the local print shop idea, Montreal must have tons of them. I use one in my town for any custom orders, and it's been great.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,327Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05