Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Browsing For Stamp Album Paper

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,311Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6144 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that some people are confused about and getting wrapped around the axle on weight. Most album manufacturers left today such as Palo, Lighthouse, Lindner use card stock for their pages, not text paper. Two different animals and just throwing weights around, whether grams/sq meter or Bond numbers, just confuses everything.

For example: 32# bond paper equals 80 pound text at 120 gsm. 80 pound CARD STOCK is 216 gsm. 100 pound CARD STOCK is 270 gsm. Huge difference and card stock is what the premium hingeless album pages are made from.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Archival Methods sells lignin free white cardstock @ 148 gsm (edit corrected, in the questions on this product it states a different weight, they may have changed it to a heavier weight without changing the webpage, I would call to confirm, it may actually be 280 gsm) online and will custom cut it. The price looks good to me at 14 bucks for 50 11 x 14s. Looking at the reviews and someone actually mentions using one of their papers to print pages for a Scott Specialty album. they used "White Archival paper" which is 120gsm and were happy. I have not checked but University Products is another company serving the museum/ archive world and may have something.
Edited by Phillystamper - 04/14/2021 09:57 am
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try White Paper Company there in Montreal, 650 Rue McCaffrey, Saint-Laurent, QC H4T 1N1.

If it is not in the building they should be able to get it.

@johnsimso3, yes stuff is faked on Amazon. Just because the website makes you think you are buying quality paper from a quality company, that does not mean it is true. If you find a company on Amazon, then contact them directly to purchase. They should meet their " Amazon price" if they are in fact selling on Amazon. But often it is a third party, not the actual company doing the selling and they have no reason to stand behind the product after the payment clears.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/14/2021 12:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's like saying "of course stuff is faked on eBay".

I never asserted that everything for sale on Amazon was genuine.

Blanket statements condemning the sales venue because of real or imagined problems are misleading, and not helpful. Share your experiences, yes, but please do not lecture.

If you find a legitimate item at a 50% (or more) discount, with a solid return privilege, well, in my neck of the woods, we call that a bargain...

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6144 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one knows for certain what proportion of the billions of items retailed through Amazon every year are counterfeit. Amazon doesn't even try to answer that question, preferring to say that 99.9 percent of its product page views are for pages without copyright or trademark infringement notices against them­--the answer to a question no one asked. But in a study of 321 brands offered for sale on Amazon by third-party merchants, the research firm Gartner found that one-third of their products had received at least one review by a customer reporting it as fake goods.* When the U.S. Government Accountability Office made test buys on the websites of five major e-commerce purveyors, including Amazon, for a 2018 report, nearly half of the 47 items it purchased turned out to be phony.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and with my experience I received 100% not as described merchandise. My favorite was a purchase made for some plant bulbs from a nursery in New Jersey. Five weeks later the items moldy and rotten showed up from China. I turned it over to the postal inspectors to forward to the USDA inspectors (the mailings were illegal under US law). What had occurred was the actual seller had copied the entire website of the New Jersey company but when the purchase button was pushed it made the sale to the fly by night scamming Chinese seller. The final purchase button was label "click to buy" on the site. Amazon, when contacted, advise me to work it out with the seller with the seller's company called you guessed it, "Click to buy." Amazon even suggested it was just an oversight in the listing by the seller. I worked it out, yeah, right, like that happened -- the company email address only bounced and the webpage was taken down. Then when I again went back to Amazon, even with full screen shots of the webpage, I was given hoops to jump through such that I simple gave up as how much time is reasonable to send addition to try to get my $20 back?

A major company, Birkenstock, with headquarters just over there (imagine me pointing over the hill on my property) stopped using Amazon due to the surge of counterfeits. https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/20/bir...t-surge.html

Their experience was that fakes were being salted in with their goods as well as fakes being offer up as their goods by third party sellers. Their company, Birkenstock is as upstanding as good honest paper companies who have no more protection than Birkenstock did from the fakers plaguing them.

Have I had issues on eBay, yes, but eBay got me my money back with no hassles. But unlike Amazon and 100% failure rate eBay is running less that 1/10 of a percent failure rate. In my case with over ten thousand eBay purchases, I have had fraudulent seller issues on less than ten.

Are you an Amazon third party seller by chance, johnsim03?
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/14/2021 3:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It goes without saying that everyone should do their research before buying anything online. That is obvious...

Do you believe that the original poster's Amazon Canada link led to a fake paper offering? If so, please enlighten me as to why you think so.

If I search for Hammermill papers on Amazon, it also shows me the "official" Hammermill store on Amazon. Are all those offerings fake?

I am sorry if anyone has had bad experiences on Amazon. I have had some, too. My (very few) bad experiences have always been resolved in a satisfactory manner.

John

p.s. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "third-party seller on Amazon." In the sense of this thread, most definitely NOT. I author Chess books which are sold on Amazon - does that make a difference to you? Would that disqualify me to give an opinion on paper sources to use for philatelic purposes?
Edited by johnsim03 - 04/14/2021 4:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6144 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Spain
249 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I would be more concerned with the adhesive bands than the paper, especially if the stamp is not going to be touching the paper.
Regards.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just because you got the "official Hammermill store" johnsim03 it does not mean you will get what you expect. Folks got the "Official Birkenstock Store" too and still got screwed by fakes. That is why Birkenstock pulled off Amazon. Again any good company if contacted directly should meet their Amazon price.

But hey, if you want to use Amazon, go ahead. Me I am through and will never recommend the company to anyone.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/15/2021 1:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
an update, I ordered/received a sample pack from Archival Methods and will be ordering their "Archival White Paper" their cardstock is very stiff and too heavy for pages. Nice stuff but not suited. Comparing the paper it is about the same as Scott's, except in color.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
an update, I ordered/received a sample pack from Archival Methods and will be ordering their "Archival White Paper" their cardstock is very stiff and too heavy for pages. Nice stuff but not suited. Comparing the paper it is about the same as Scott's, except in color.

At least we got away from the anti-Amazon screeds and back on topic.
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha! yeah. BTW I just picked up a couple super nice Godden albums and am jazzed about making pages for them. Marbled lining and leather etc...
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
Posted 04/30/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure of folks are finding this helpful. In any case I received my order of paper from Archival Methods. I've made a test print of a page for the Jacques Combet album i'm working on and am very pleased. The paper btw is not a bright white. It lies somewhere between typical printer paper and the color of Scott National pages. Now for the tedious work of editing and tweaking the pages and finishing up another 2 decades of his work. Should be around 75-100 pages by the time I'm done.
Valued Member
Canada
280 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few weeks ago I came across a barely used Epson WF-7210 printer for $50 on Craigslist.
All ink cartridges were empty, but as I don't use colour for my album pages I only replaced the black.

The WF-7210 can print pages as large as 13" x 19" which opened up a whole new world of possibilities as I find that regular office A4 or Letter size paper can give a cramped look

After a bit of online research, I narrowed my paper choices down to the SAFE Classic 14 hole pages which are 270 x 297mm or the Stanley Gibbons 22 hole pages which are slightly smaller at 248 x 282mm.

Although I had a slight preference for the marginally larger SAFE pages, on a per-page basis the pages are almost three times the price of the SG paper. Also, the cheapest SAFE 14 ring binder is more than twice the price of SG's 22 ring binder.

As a result, I decided to take the more affordable route by ordering a pack of the Stanley Gibbons RBL-140 blank 140gsm weight paper (it is also available in 240gsm) along with a Sandringham Binder which is the cheaper of the two 22 ring binders offered by SG.

I didn't add a slipcase as I first wanted to try the paper and printer combination before investing too heavily into the system. Unfortunately, I did have to order from SG in the UK as I couldn't find a stockist in Canada. Shipping was fairly pricey, but I was astounded at just how quickly it took for the package to get here.

As for the results, at this point I have only printed a few pages, but so far I am absolutely delighted with the results. For example this page:

The photo really doesn't do it justice, the binder and pages look far nicer in real life.
For me, I think that I have found the solution to what paper to use for my DIY album dilemma and to also be assured that it is as least as "archival" as an album from a major album manufacturer,

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,311Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05