Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Minkus Supreme Being Discontinued By Scott?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 573Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was on the Amos Advantage site and was looking at the Minkus Supreme page listings. Parts 1A and 1B are showing as discontinued and there is no longer an option for ordering parts 2A, 2B, or 3.

Is Amos really going to eliminate this album? Has anyone seen news of this in Linn's?

Dale
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A e-mail sent to Amos customer service received this response a little while ago. Unfortunate.

Quote:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not have the pages to produce any longer.

As for now, the are discontinued.

Thanks,

Nicki Ingle
Customer Service Representative
Amos Media Company
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since many of the supplements are/were "available on demand" it sounds as if the needed paper stock is unavailable for production. Perhaps that is a short term Covid production issue.

Then again the albums were discontinued more than 15 years ago. Eventually supplement page demand will drop to the point it is no longer cost effective to produce them.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since many of the supplements are/were "available on demand" it sounds as if the needed paper stock is unavailable for production. Perhaps that is a short term Covid production issue.

"Discontinued" has a finality about it... once people see that, the product gets written off in their minds, and they go elsewhere. Sellers don't use "discontinued" unless they mean it. Any temporary issue, and the thing to say would have been "Temporarily Unavailable" or "Out of Stock."

These pages are gone.
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the Amos website, the pages are either available, available on demand or backordered; no hints of death yet. If they cannot get the blank pages of paper, they can't print supplement pages. The fact car makers can get computer chips means they can't make cars now but that does not mean forever; same with paper acquisition.

That said, Minkus may be reaching the same fate as Washington Press and their White Ace Album line--gone but not forgotten.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/14/2021 4:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
974 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This just looks like a basic English grammar issue -- yet again. In a society where the average person (and average employee) does not have a very strong grasp of the English language, you get confusing statements like these.

Here are my guesses at translating what this person is trying to say:

"We do not have the pages to produce any longer."
Either she means they don't have the original page layouts to copy any longer (which is 100% unlikely) -- or they don't have the "paper" to print them on. I'm going to guess this person thinks "pages" and "paper" mean the same thing. They don't.

"As for now, the[y] are discontinued."
Same as the above this time confusing "discontinued" with "temporarily unavailable," an entirely different thing. "As for now" and "discontinued" in the same statement make no sense.

Sadly you run into this all the time with people unable to communicate clearly and ending up misleading people. After awhile it gets tiresome saying "I'm sorry, I don't understand." My personal favorite is saying "disinterested" for "uninterested". The first means "neutral," the other "couldn't care less," totally different things. Okay, I feel a little better now.

Edited by DrewM - 04/14/2021 5:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they are printing on demand and can make money on each unit printed I see no reason to "discontinue". Of course if it is not profitable "bombs away".
Learn More...
9259 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could also be due to a break down of equipment, like to drill the paper. Supply chain issues are often hard to ID by those not in the loop.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2996 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It may help to ask someone else at Scott.
Al
Edited by angore - 04/15/2021 07:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IHobb says:

Quote:
The Minkus Stamp Album Publisher was acquired in 2008 by Amos Publications, who also publish the Scott Albums. Since that time the albums previously produced under the Minkus brand have been discontinued. However, for those collectors who currently use a Minkus Album, Scott is continuing to produce album supplements, blank pages and binders.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After a couple follow-up e-mails with Amos press, I received the following this morning.

Quote:

As far as I know they are not discontinuing the entire Minkus line.

The problem lies with supplements prior to the mid 90's (which is when we purchased the line). Some of the files are not complete and some are not archived digitally.

It seems as if their print on demand process involved photocopying a hard-copy set of the pages, and these have been lost or damaged at least partially.

I asked if they were taking steps to prevent something similar from happening to the Scott International but received no answer to that question.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whomever answered the query from Amos is clueless. The line was not purchased in the 90's and retailers have nothing to sell other than current supplements, blank pages and binders.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2996 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you imagine if some ancient Egyptian or religious monk wrote something like that in a tomb or on a scroll? Modern scholars could make a career trying to interpret and debate the meaning.
Al
Edited by angore - 04/17/2021 08:41 am
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Minkus Supreme Being Discontinued By Scott?
-OP

Quote:
This just looks like a basic English grammar issue -- yet again. In a society where the average person (and average employee) does not have a very strong grasp of the English language, you get confusing statements like these.
-DrewM

Okay DrewM, I will play along....

Amos Press (Scott) and its folks can say or do anything they want, anything at all when they believe they have the power to discontinue a Supreme Being at will. Heck, if you have the power to cancel a god, you can do or say what you want.

Thank you, thank you, I will be here all week.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/17/2021 1:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Matinee on Saturday Ladies and Germs.....
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05