Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Colombia Postmark Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 273Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
80 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rascal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1. Scott #341 the 1917 Narino issue. I assume it was not canceled in Columbia and therefore picked up the Philadelphia postmark. Before I added to my collection with a small write up I need to know what the
"P.P." I'm guessing "parcel post" But I'm no expert on United States cancels and Would appreciate someone else's important.

2. Scott #412 the 1932 oil wells issue. I first thought I had some kind of straight-line city cancel until Google translate indicated that Anulada means Cancelled. Never encounter this before on a stamp from Columbia. Can it be pinpointed to a particular city? Is it unusual? Do I just have an ordinary cancel use whenever a stamp is not machine canceled?

Appreciate all your help.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rascal...

As you indicated, do not believe these to be common Colombia postmarks.

Hopefully JerryB, the Forum's Colombia expert, will chime in. Jerry is extremely knowledgeable as well as very generous re knowledge sharing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5237 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ANULADA means CANCELED in Portuguese .

The Philly cancel is not that unusual for worldwide collectors , If the home country post office misses a stamp ,the receiving post office often will cancel the stamp , today instead of a rubber stamp cancel ,the post offices use a cayon or a ink marking pen .
Edited by floortrader - 04/14/2021 3:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France
1652 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Portuguese? In Colombia they speak spanish. But "anulada" is "cancelled" in spanish too.
Edited by vayolene - 04/14/2021 12:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "P.P." (Parcel Post) Philadelphia cancel was likely applied on an incoming (from Columbia to the USA) parcel post package. The cancel notes receipt in Philadelphia and then the appropriate parcel delivery fee and if appropriate customs fee(s) which are to be collected upon delivery is noted on the package. The fact the strike happen to be on a stamp was coincidental and not to "cancel" the stamp. The package then continues to its destination post office of delivery.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/14/2021 12:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5237 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Parcel ......You don't understand how the back room of a U.S. Post Office works . There is a policy of "loss prevention " they don't read the stamp or what country it is {matter in fact most clerks don't know where Colombia is}, they are instructed to cancel everything that is missed .
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3090 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The violet Anulada was in this case for revenue use on a document or receipt.It literaly means 'void'.
Larger blue or black Anulada cancels exist as postal cancels.
They arde not easy to find..
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well floortrader, you are unaware of the rules in 1917 regarding incoming foreign parcel post. The concern was to collect the package delivery fee and when appropriate the customs fees. The incoming package were to be presumed paid in full (this can even be found at times in the postal guide) with or without stamps since not all money collected for mailing such packages in foreign countries resulted in an equal number of stamps, or any, being affixed. Not to mention, foreign stamps, cancelled or not were not valid for use as postage for mail matter in the USA. Nor were they valid as credit if and when the package was returned to sender. A new postage cost for return was calculated (generally 12 cents per pound or fraction in 1917) and if the package came registered, it was to be returned register for another dime in fees. You also seem to overlook that the stamp with the PP cancel was already cancelled.

As to revenue protection, the only revenue the USPOD got for incoming foreign parcel post was the fee allowed by the UPU to be paid by the US recipient. Nearly universal for matter from all foreign countries, the fee was 5 cents per package, except Columbia. Columbia was a rare exception where the US delivery fee collected was only to be 1 cent.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5237 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"They are not easy to find " very true !

"Black ANULADA was also used ,they exist as postal cancels " Right ! Here is the BLACK cancel used correctly on a revenue stamp .

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
80 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone who replied. I learned a lot. Appreciate it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
955 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Pet peeve. The country is ColOmbia and not ColUmbia.

I knew ANULADA but I learned something about the Philadelphia postmark. Thanks Parcelpostguy

Jerry B
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 273Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05