Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recently Discovered US Scott 517c

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 819Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
833 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gettinold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received a cert for a stamp I submitted to the Philatelic Foundation late last year. Found this stamp among a collection I purchased more than five years ago and had only recently gotten around to working on it. If I'm not mistaken it is only the fourth 517c to receive a cert and only the second 517c with transitional perfs. Can hardly believe I found this needle in a haystack. Hope you all can understand my excitement.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1220 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Just wow! Congratulations on your discovery.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess you did not mind the certificate fees.

Great find! One's willingness to check for the unusual can and at times does pay off. Great eye.
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that's a pretty exciting find. very nice.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6127 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, what a find! Congratulations. The odds of finding this are truly amazing and at least another one is being preserved. It should go into the Siegel census.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
104 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done and thank you for sharing.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hope you all can understand my excitement.

Absolutely!
How does one tell that the Pmk is a "registry"?
What are "transitional perfs"?
Congratulations.
Edited by rod222 - 04/14/2021 11:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4368 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Super find with double oval registry cancel and perfs on top starting off 10 perf transitioning to 11 perf. Amazing! You rock!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   09:23 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive that you found a stamp that could be so easily overlooked.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
525 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   10:45 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - what a great find.
So how many of us are now checking/rechecking inventory and albums?
Edited by wheelman - 04/15/2021 10:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1831 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How does one tell that the Pmk is a "registry"?

rod222, the letters inside the inner oval are REG.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After checking a 1,000 stamps it doesn't seem worthwhile to check a 1001. Many collectors have handled this prize, without realizing what it was. I bought kiloware years ago and assumed that there was nothing of real value in there. Probably, likely correct.
Having said that, Mr. Gettinold is a real COLLECTOR to "discover" a prize that has been waiting to be discovered for a 104 years. I salute you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
833 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your comments. In answer to your question Rod this explanation was found on an auction website:

At a certain point during production one of the perforating wheels became defective. In the course of repairs part of one perforation wheel was inadvertently changed from Perf 11 to Perf 10. Based on the physical evidence of surviving copies, this was the nineteenth row of pins on the wheel.

I had to celebrate last night. Today my liver hurts.
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After checking 1,000 stamps....

After checking 1000 stamps the odds improve when checking number 1001, the next stamp. Your lowest odds of finding the needle in the haystack, well, rarity in the kiloware, is the first stamp you check. If you were willing to check the first stamp, checking 1001 should be a no-brainer.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/15/2021 5:02 pm
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GMC89 - you just never know. Last year I bought a lot from a seasoned collector that had hundreds of duplicate Canadian stamps. I sat there and looked at a whole pile of 10c 1935 Mountie stamps with a magnifying glass. They are Scotts 223 and there are a few varieties to look for. Before I went cross-eyed I did spot one very nice 223iv, which has a little loop on the horse's back. The cat value is $375 CDN which isn't life changing, but I set out to find something and there it was. I sent him a picture right away and he was a good sport. This could have also gone undetected for 90 years. He was glad I found it and I'm glad it was practically free.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 04/15/2021 5:18 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 819Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05