Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 225 - Ink Smear Or Unlisted Double Transfer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 266Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Caper123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a 225 that had a marking in 'UNITED' that looked a bit like other double transfer markings from that series. My first inclination was to believe it a smear of sorts, especially since Scott doern'ty list one for a #225...that is until I found another almost identical 'smear' which had me then wondering whether it could actually be a double transfer (unlisted) or something else. What do you think?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3530 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Showing two copies with the identical flaw clinches it nicely - points to a plate flaw, whether a double transfer or damage, or ?, etc. It would be good to see the entire stamp.

Being "unlisted" in Scott doesn't count for very much. I have always viewed their U.S. Specialized catalog as the "Scott semi-specialized catalog", and thus one needs to go to the more detailed monographs and society journals for the next level of detail such as this

Unfortunately, your stamp is wee bit too early to be included in Loran C. French's "Encyclopedia of Plate Varieties on U.S. Bureau-Printed Postage Stamps", but it proves the point that Scott lists only the most spectacular or noteworthy plate flaws.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, thanks for your input. I have included a scan of both stamps and a scan of one pointing out other marks that appear on these two stamps that don't appear on any other 225 I've looked at.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, when I say the markings are similar to others in that series I mean like these...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How does one differentiate between a plate variety and some kind of 'regular' plate wiping issue? Seeing similar marks on different denominations makes it seem likely to be some kind of plate wiping issue. But how can one be sure without having the actual plates to examine? I can imagine a universe where wiping in the same way over, say, the UNITED STATES POSTAGE area of this series of stamps may result in the markings that you see. Still, how can one really be sure? Perhaps if you had two stamps, each from the same plate position (and plate), and one showing the markings, and the other not, might indicate a wiping issue.

Frankly, I would lean towards a plate issue (if there are multiple examples of the same markings), until someone can show with some certainty that they are from a plate wiping issue.

Either way, interesting!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   09:35 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely call it a constant plate variety but not a double transfer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
511 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with sinclair2010......it is some type of constant variety, but not a dt. if it shows up on any proofs of the issued stamps that would confirm it. until then poor plate wiping cannot be imo totally ruled out.
Pillar Of The Community
3530 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The absence of finding the damage on the plate proof, does not exclude progressive damage as the plate was used.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05