Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rts Are Any Australian Ebay Sellers Getting Standard Letters Back?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 723Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add duncanvr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are any Australian eBay stamp sellers getting International standard letters returned back RTS saying requires CN22? I had two sent back that I was mailing out to USA. The customs appear to now be rejecting standard airmail letters without a declaration signed form on the back. I am just wondering if other Oz stamp sellers who send international mail their stamps sold on eBay are starting to get stuff back RTS.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31935 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Duncan, a bit confused with regards to the link to eBay?
I send multiple covers to US and Canada, never had one returned.
How would AustPost know yours are eBay?
Sounds very irritating.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how they know my mail outs are philatelic sales but two back in the space of the week so I am dreading tomorrows mail that I may get more. Just wondering if others getting this to
Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are they too thick or heavy? Is there any indication on the envelope that they are items requiring a value declaration? Is that a DO NOT BEND sticker? Maybe that is enough of a clue that what's inside is of some value. Or maybe the thickness (1 or 2 pieces of cardboard for protection) might also be enough to clue them in. Have they opened the envelopes???? Do you know if this is being done at your local PO, or is it being done in one of the cities just before being loaded on the plane? If local, you may want to talk to the postmaster about the 'why'.

Good luck!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did have one extra cardboard in there as the envelope with stamp I had sold had a wax seal on the back which I did not want to bend. Maybe that could be it? Your guess is as good as mine here but this RTS only started this week. I wonder if its USA customs. Yes that is a DO NOT BEND sticker buyers in the stamp world expect those. No the envelopes were not opened it could be down to L x H X width? Talked to post they said now illegal to mail any sold merchandise without the customs form and the extra postage charge for that service. If that is the case this is going to hurt a lot of eBay stamp sellers if their mail gets detected as being eBay sales. It could be that with now 14,000 feedback I am well known by the post.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
example of mail outs
Learn More...
9258 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   03:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they contain stamps then they are not 'documents' and require a Customs Declaration. This was a 2016-17 UPU First Class mail change that some countries did not enforce until this year.

Discussed here https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...&whichpage=1
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5531 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   04:19 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Duncan - if I go on the Royal Mail site, it has a declaration form that I can complete and attach to my item (this now needs to be specific to the item, rather than the previously printable blank form).

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/c...customs-form

I assume that the Australian post office site has something similar.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don so it looks like USA is now starting to enforce international letters. I will have to rethink how this will affect my eBay selling. I assume you will have to pay a higher rate at counter when using a a Customs Declaration
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5531 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   04:44 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Duncan - as far as I know, the simple fact of a customs declaration shouldn't of itself increase the price. If you print out a form, do you need to go to a counter?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa No problems with the royal mail at present. I believe you can print out a form for mail going to US, but do you need to go to a counter? Good question. To go with that I pay $3.20 in stamps for a standard Card Mailer DL 220mm x 110mm 300GSM. If I print out the form the counter need to still affix postage paid label as the printed form says postage unpaid I wonder if its a higher rate. I'd love to be able to still drop these into the post office box. Don't know yet. Maybe I need to get a thermal printer?
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
duncanvr,

Well I really don't know how to reply to this post as it appears that the topic is not up for discussion or so as I have been warned......

As we are in Australia and IF the requirement is to send ANY items that is considered "merchandise" by other than letter it will ow cost you a minimum of $A24 for the cheapest 'parcel' to the USA.

So I guess if that is the requirement, well I guess you can figure that out for yourself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1472 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so it looks like USA is now starting to enforce international letters

No, the RTS notice you received is from Australia. This issue cannot be pinned on the US. Oz and dozens of other countries agreed to the UPU change, so any complaints should be addressed to your legislature or national executives. Australia is merely enforcing its own international agreements that yield higher revenue to it for parcels, as many other countries do. You're lucky to have gone 4 years without such a return.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the comments. $24 to ship a $10 stamp to USA is not going to be worth it. Will monitor how all this goes this change is going to be a killer of many eBay stamp sellers here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, yes, this would have a 'chilling' effect on international sales. Although this is open to abuse - have you considered mailing low-cost stamps in a plain envelope - no thick cardstock and no 'Do Not Bend' stickers? Maybe a single thinner cardboard insert. That way, it just looks like you are mailing a letter to your long-lost Aunt Mary in Beaver Butt, Idaho.

It would be taking a chance, of course.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I can remove the do not bend but will them get complaints from my thousands of international buyers. Of whom I currently offer free shipping by letter post if I have to charge $24+ shipping the buyers will drop off like flies. The problem is the volume I do it maybe to obvious to the post now they seem to be enforcing the rules.Long last aunt Mary you found her?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 723Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05