Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thailand Revenues With Security Markings/ Precancels And Perfins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 238Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For a long time, nobody in the world seemed to collect Thailand revenue stamps with security markings besides myself. They are seldom offered on eBay but I was always the only bidder, till recently.
These security markings had the same main purpose as security markings on postal stamps, preventing pilfering by employees.
This was specially important for revenue stamps which had many times a face value much higher than postage stamps. In addition in Thailand,
unused revenue stamps could be returned to the revenue office.

These markings started in Thailand around 1954/ 1955 and only on stamps used by foreign owned banks. The latest observed markings are from 1998.
Below I show some security markings of the H.&S.B.C., the Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation.
If there is interest in this subject I can post more different banks

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry the last picture in my previous post has NO security markings.
Picture below has.
Also, in my collection I call these security marking precancels.
For some banks, those stamps they only filled in a date.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry wrong again

Valued Member
Austria
208 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, cheque cancellations that accidently perforated stamps are definitely no perfins!
The term "Perfin" only is used for stamps with PERForated INitials for theft prevention.

It's the same with the Hungarian Triangle perforation or the German "BEZAHLT". Nice to find and have, but no perfin.
Edited by tommtomm - 04/16/2021 04:36 am
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Tommtomm,

thanks for the feedback, I understand. How should I call these little round holes in the cheque???
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31935 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Suggestion:
Punched Revenues. (Mainly seen regarding telegraph holes/shapes)
Revenue Puncture Cancellations.

Perhaps just Punctured Cheque, or Punctured Receipt., etc
Not sure cancellation is accurate, esp with a cheque,
then it would be a "PAID Puncture." etc depending on the hole design.

Edited by rod222 - 04/16/2021 07:25 am
Valued Member
Austria
208 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod ... for these special terms my English simply is too bad.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What about the stamp in the picture

Is it possible to just call these little holes "perforations"
Valued Member
Austria
208 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited:

Sorry for the first wrong information, not my day today.

It's a Judicature-Fee-Stamp with the letters "R" "C" "J"

To be found here:
GREAT BRITAIN &
IRELAND OFFICIAL
& CROWN CIRCLE
PERFIN CANCELS
(Jeff Turnbull)

https://www.angelfire.com/pr/perfin...fficials.pdf
Edited by tommtomm - 04/16/2021 08:39 am
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Tommtomm,
The reference you mentioned is excellent.
However on page 7 item 2 is a similar situation as my bank chèque.
The word " Cancelled" Is besides the stamp and it is also called Perfin.

So I think that you are right with the original definition of PERforated INitials. However over the years the definition became more loose
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 238Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05