Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Z Grill

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 885Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StampNube to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need guidance on the grill of this stamp. From my count I get 14 and 17 with peaks running horizontally. Just want to get another set of eyes to take a look. Thanks I'm advance.

Send note to Staff
Edited by StampNube - 04/16/2021 11:42 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very doubtful to me. Can you show us where the horizontal peaks are? I don't see anything like them at all.
Pillar Of The Community
3530 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gentle suggestion ... Good images make for a better analysis. It would be good to have scans (not photos) of the front and back of the stamp at normal exposure, then a third scan of the back side with an exaggerated contrast to emphasize the grill.
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this scan better?
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I have a particularly difficult/ light grill I have found a dark room and a flashlight very helpful.
Cheers m
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StampNube - You scan is missing?
Pillar Of The Community
3530 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp scan is not missing. StampNube has edited his original post and added it there, instead of adding it to a post at the end of the thread, thus it makes our subsequent posts look out of place.

I will ask again ... Please post a scan of the front of the stamp. It is important in obtaining complete and accurate responses to supply complete information to us. Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am somewhat cautious in posting the front of this stamp. If it is a z grille it is fairly valuable and the safety of my family may then be compromised. Not shure this is the safest means of identifying this stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scan was added to the OP.

Sorry, StampNube, the added scan is decidely worse than the first two. Those were higher contrast as you probably intended.

As for horizontal peaks, are you aware that that refers to each embossed/indented square? Instead of being a blunt square, those should have a peaked roof pattern within each. Looking from the back, in the case of a points down Z grill, the horizontal peak should be towards the viewer. The pattern is something like this:

Showing the face of the stamp will not compromise the security of your family. It would help your case if it can be shown that the grill was impressed before the stamp was cancelled (though that is doubtful). Do not presume you have this rarity, since there are more indications that the grill is forged than being genuine.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/16/2021 8:06 pm
Learn More...
9258 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   7:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is significant glue or regumming or otherwise on the surface, even over the hinge remnant, plus the grille doesn't seem symmetrical and exhibit the peaks. Not to mention only 2 known copies exist :-)
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will be hard to determine from scans/ pictures
Send it to Mr W T Crowe, he's on the Internet. 5.00 will get you an opinion 30.00 a certificate, and then you can decide whether to approach PF or APS or whomever.
It doesn't appear to me to be a Z grill, but that is just my opinion from your scans/ pictures.
Cheers, m
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Key words, "2 known copys" sir.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   9:34 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hesitate to add to the time already spent on this thread. It isn't a Z grill... zero chance. And I agree that it is questionable that the grill is even genuine.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 885Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05