Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Me Out On This -Someone's Stamp Investment .

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 991Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the final sales price for a pile of 3-centers was pretty good unless it was a reserve not met.

Quite a few people did this with 3 cent commemoratives but fewer seemed to have lasted until the time of the 4 centers (1958-) and fewer still when the 5 centers came along (1963-). The typical reason/excuse seemed to be "saving for the kids' college education". Ho. We haven't seen the last of these hoards.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3422 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I knew someone who bought $10,000.00 of Canada CAPEX 1978 Scott 756a souvenir sheets in the late 1970s. They sold them over 30 years later for $3,500.00 which was a loss of around $6,500.00
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
509 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My belief in buying modern stamps is buying the most expensive sheets possible helps your chances of success. A 2544a sheet is 215 face. Catalog is 400+. Problem is supply and demand. You can buy them from anywhere for probably $250. There are probably better examples of slimmer printing counts or poor distribution that will elevate few.

Maybe this will go up over time, but 25 years hasn't been kind.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
104 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm confused by the idea that buying multiple multiples of the exact same thing could turn into a good investment. the pay off(s) comw fro rarities or scarcities.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems more like they were praying for a gem--that one of their stamp sheets would for some inexplicable reason jump in value later on. Gambling is a hell of a drug I suppose
Valued Member
Australia
79 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of comments on this 'stamps as an investment' thinking......

As I posted in another topic, I am starting to make an inventory of my stamps.

During the lockdown here in Victoria I bought a 'new' SG catalogue (2017). The previous one I had was from 2004.

I haven't looked at the catalogue values for most of the stamps in my collection or updated them over that period of time.

I started on some of the Barbados stamps and was quite surprised at the values. Some haven't move at all and others have zoomed up. Yes, I know, market values are different from catalogue values.

For example, SG64 (the 5 shilling stamp) hasn't changed at all at 950 pounds in 2004, but SG180 (3 shilling) has gone from 40 pounds to 120 pounds.

The few blue paper stamps from the 1897 Diamond Jubilee that I have in the collection haven't changed in catalogue value either.

So what to think about all that...........

So was the 5/ a 'good investment' and the 3/ a 'bad investment'?

Or is the result somewhat different?

Guess I'll have to dig out the records and find out how much I paid for the lot way back when.

I do know that I couldn't go into the market and buy the stamps for the same price that I paid back then and I couldn't even buy them today if I wanted to. I don't have the money.

If I spent the money on a fancy meal way back when, I wouldn't have the stamps today either.

So..............

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   05:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They weren't praying for a gem. They figured that the stamps would become obsolete (true) and become more valuable just on that basis (false). They weren't collectors, otherwise they could have seen what commems from the 1930s and early 1940s were going for in the 1950s and 1960s. It was idiotically easy to be at the post office window on other business and pick up a current commem sheet. People in general had more disposable income and spare cash in those days.

And those were the times when they'd sell you/me a single commemorative stamp, too; no buying a sheet of 20. And as for the myth of buying $5 Hamiltons, unless you were typically at one of the very big post offices, they didn't have them because there was no demand for them in most cases.
Valued Member
147 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I spent half my money on stamps, the other half I wasted."

The odd thing about this is nobody knows how many mint sheets (or blocks or singles) remain Out There. I agree with the sense others have expresed that many similar "grandpa's boxes of 3c sheets" still exist, but that's just a guess, really. Since there is continuous attrition via use as postage, damage from floods, etc., there will come a day when suddenly we'll realize that what had been in great supply has nearly run out. Does that happen in year 2030, 2130, 3130, or... ?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   7:49 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" Since there is continuous attrition via use as postage"

3c sheets getting used up as postage? - very slowly. It is hard to use up quantities of 3c stamps.
Learn More...
9251 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an investment, vintage Dennison hinges have outperformed virtually every collector stamp (4000% increase since the 1970s).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6141 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a mountain of 3 centers that I acquired through large lot purchases. Enough to fill mailing requirements forever and a day. Thing is that not only were billions printed and it takes so many to make payment on one envelope now but less and less first class mail is being sent.

That being said I watch Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auto auctions and see cars that I owned in my youth now become hot commodities so who knows. One that always gets me is the used 1972 Challenger with a 340 that I bought for $500 in the 70's. Worth a pretty penny now. Or the one that got away. A 1969 mustang with a Cobra Jet 429 and factory Hurst shifter with window sticker still on window and 500 miles on the odometer. The dealer wanted $5,000 and I could not swing it. A six figure car now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there will come a day when suddenly we'll realize that what had been in great supply has nearly run out. Does that happen in year 2030, 2130, 3130, or... ?

Keep going. Keep in mind that there are also already innumerable mint 3 cent commems in collections of all types.

I don't think cars equate well to collectibles like stamps, since they require so much continued maintenance especially in the later years. You are going to drive that thing, aren't you? Then maybe your kid decides to take it out one day and...
Valued Member
147 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm doing my part to lick the oversupply. It's rare I post any letter with fewer than 10 stamps affixed. 55 cents is an easy number to reach, 10-3c + 1-25c, or 10-4c + 1-15c, or 11-5c. Besides, it helps exercise the math skills of the local postal workers. Every so often I mix in a few 7c air mails just to keep them on their toes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
799 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I knew someone who bought $10,000.00 of Canada CAPEX 1978 Scott 756a souvenir sheets in the late 1970s. They sold them over 30 years later for $3,500.00 which was a loss of around $6,500.00

Coincidentally, Kelleher sold a lot of these yesterday. 1560 sheets for $1200 US, plus BP. Who knows how much the original owner paid for what is $2636.40 CAD of postage?
Learn More...
9251 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   12:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is worse than that...$2636.00 in 1978 dollars is the same as $10,708 in today's dollars.
Don
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 991Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05