Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Framing Stamps And Proofs, Is It Safe For The Condition?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 318Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi all,

search forum and internet but could not find a clear answer.

i want to enjoy some of my stamps and/or proofs a bit more and consider framing some of them so I can hang in my office. it will be all pre 1900, no modern

what I am worries about is the potential condition and color change due to light and/or other materials used, and how to tie them to the back

anyone done this?
any tips?

thank you
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5531 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   08:13 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The short answer is, don't do it unless you're prepared for the material to be damaged, which, over time, it will be. Use cheap, decorative material, not anything you value.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only physical difference I can see between storing a given item in a binder on a bookshelf in your office and mounting it on the wall under glass in your office is light exposure and that can be very damaging over time. Fluorescent lighting is second to the sun when it comes to printed matter harming UV.

Rasdale sold some framed pieces once that Regency-Superior had framed and hung and the fading was remarkable. If memory serves they were Columbian proofs.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only physical difference I can see between storing a given item in a binder on a bookshelf in your office and mounting it on the wall under glass in your office is light exposure

And that is all the difference in the world.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1055 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scan them at high resolution and mount the scanned image.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AlEGator, thats a good idea
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Feel super stupid I didn't come up with that one myself, I can even blow up the image
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2376 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scan them at high resolution and mount the scanned image

Exactly.

Years ago, before scanners, I would take close-up photos of material and frame those. No need for all of that now with scanners.

There are quite a few well known items that have been exhibited so much now, that they have faded, mostly due to time spent on exhibit floors and exposure to light.
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you check at a framing shop or glass company you can learn about UV reducing glass. The "good" stuff can reduce up to 99%, but that means discoloration is just slowed, not stopped. Edit: Let me be clear I am suggesting this glass to slow the fading on your scanned and printed images.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/16/2021 11:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go with the scans. Sunlight and fluorescent lighting are still very powerful UV sources. There are also serious effects over time by changes in household heat and humidity.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05